Consultant (Climate Change and Disaster Risk)
We are seeking two consultants to assist with OPM's work on climate change and disaster risk management. Supported by their line manager, they will be responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with stakeholders and leading the development of proposals for new work and to lead the implementation of some projects.
Purpose and Key Objectives
The primary purpose of this position is to assist with OPM’s work on climate change, to build future work and to deliver existing projects and programmes.
Key objectives include:
- Develop OPM’s work on Climate Change and Disaster Risk in Oxford
- Play an integral part of the work and development of the OPM team
- Contribute to the Climate Change and Disaster Risk portfolio and OPM’s work on climate and disaster risk in the UK and globally
- Contributing to the technical delivery of the Policy and Institutions Facility
- Support the delivery and growth of OPM’s work on climate change and disaster risk
- Delivery of technical work on OPM consulting and other projects, across a range of issues, both short-term diagnostic work and long-term climate change reform projects, in support of developing country governments and international aid agencies, in accordance with required delivery deadlines and OPM quality and report writing standards.
- Prepare expressions of interest and proposals for new work opportunities.
- Contributing to the delivery of existing and impact of OPM projects
- Building OPM’s reputation and influence with key stakeholders including the government
- Foster good relations with clients including donor agencies and partner government ministries, taking an active role in developing new areas of work and potential new relationships through existing or new networks and contacts.
- Play an integral part of the work and development of the OPM team in Oxford
- Building OPM’s reputation locally and globally including by contributing as required to general business and technical development activities such as writing articles and participating in other research and publication programmes as required.
- Contributing to the technical delivery of individual consultancy projects
- Providing technical inputs as required into workstreams of projects
- Providing guidance and quality assurance for other staff and more junior staff
- Providing leadership and project management for projects the job holder is given responsibility for.
- Undertake other duties reasonably required by the line manager, portfolio leader, and Country Director.
- The existing right to work in the UK.
- Degree and post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline (for example, economics, environmental economics, development studies) or other appropriate disciplines.
- Strong work experience of climate change and/or disaster risk policy.
- Ideally, a good understanding of project management and experience of managing projects.
- Experience working with or supporting work with senior government officials and aid agency staff
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients, both verbally and in writing.
- Commitment to building capacity for development with a problem-driven approach
If you meet the skills and experiences above, we would really like to hear from you. Please submit a CV and covering letter through the portal by Sunday 5th April at 23.59pm UK time. Please note we cannot accept applications sent to an email address.
For full details of how we will use your personal data please see our Recruitment Privacy Notice is available at
OPM is committed to the highest ethical standards. This includes preventing any type of behaviours or standards which are in breach of the OPM Code of Conduct including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, and all others (including vulnerable people) with whom OPM engages. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
If you require more information about our checking process, please contact recruitment at