Smart Water Technology Consultant for Farmer Led Irrigation
SNV Netherlands Development Organization is a not-for-profit international development Organisation, founded in the Netherlands in 1965. SNV Cambodia operates in more than 30 developing countries in Asia, Latin America and Africa, in Agriculture, Renewable Energy and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene sectors. SNV has been working in Cambodia since 2005. For detailed information on SNV Cambodia visit: www.snv.org.
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation as the lead agency of the SDC-Cambodia Horticulture Project Advancing Income and Nutrition (CHAIN). CHAIN supports female and male smallholder farmers (including ethnic minorities, where present) in increasing sustainable production, income and resilience in four provinces Kratie, Stung Treng, Preah Vihear and Oddar Meanchey. The project facilitates the empowering of rural smallholder producer groups in the market system, while working on the market development of local safe vegetables with other market actors.
Water management is one of the main constraints for farmers to scale up their horticulture activities. Many farmers face challenges with water access and water management throughout the year but especially in the dry season, from January to June. The farms in the provinces are in highland, lowland and riverbank areas affected differently. Areas near riverbanks of Kratie and Stung Treng provinces are flooded annually during the rainy season in Sep-Oct and most arable land is too wet to grow vegetables; lowland and highland areas of Oddar Meanchey and Preah Vihear are subject to annual droughts from Jan/Feb to Apr/May with reduced water availability for vegetable production and sometime flash flood from Aug-Oct.
CHAIN is in the process of finalising a Farmer Led Irrigation (FLI) strategy, with existing and possible new Smart water management interventions. For the implementation of those intervention CHAIN seeks to hire a Smart Water Technology expert.
The expert will support the promotion of a range of smart water solutions appropriate to different groups of farmers and the strengthening of products and services around irrigated agricultural development for the vegetable and fruit value chains.
- Translate the FLI strategy into a practical pilot in close coordination with CHAIN team
- Lead the FLI intervention related to the identification, demonstration and dissemination of smart water technology products
- Provide training and coaching support to key technology providers (private institutions, NGOs and County institutions) operating in the pilot target areas as well as the key beneficiary group (SME farmers) on installation, operation, maintenance, promotion, marketing and demonstration to scale products
- Develop the training material, guidebook and other extension materials for CHAIN’s partner and farmer related to water technology include the horticulture crops (Mostly vegetable) water requirement and technology with different soil typology
- Help develop smart promotional materials including evidence-based documentation of success stories to effectively market the technologies
- Engage with farmers and private sector on the implementation of the smart water pilot.
- Monitoring of results and documentation of intervention
- Practical knowledge on small scale irrigation technologies and conservation methods including the hands-on training and coaching skills to use the technology in the field
- Educational background at MSc level in agricultural, water and irrigation engineering with work experience in development of irrigated agriculture at farm level, especially the horticulture crops with affordable water access technology;
- Understanding of the importance of and processes in farmer-led, participatory, irrigated agricultural development and experience in using such approach is an advantage;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic to work on this topic.
- Work experience in a multidisciplinary team
- Good communication and writing skills in English
- Good computer-based data analyses skills, minimum fluent in MSOffice.
- Willingness to travel extensively to project regions
- Team work, good coordination and communication
Contract Type: Consultancy contract
Contract Duration: initial assignment for 3 Months, with possible follow up assignment (s)
Expected Start Date: April to November 2020
How to Apply
We invite you to apply by submitting your CV and a short letter of motivation (one page). Please include in CV all relevant positions, employers, and start and end dates of employment.
Applications are due by March 30th, 2020
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted
We do not accept third-party mediation based on this advertisement. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of solicitation by phone or other means will be treated as disqualification of the candidate. SNV is an equal opportunity employer.