Job Title: EH Assistant with language skills (Arabic or Dari or French)
Location: Olive Groves (Moria area)
Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. In response to the influx of refugees in Greece, The IRC Hellas has been working in Lesvos since June 2015.
Job Summary: As part of the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) intervention in Moria zone 12, the assistant with language skills will be supporting the implementation of community mobilization and hygiene promotion activities, monitoring of desludging, waste removal and cleaning contractors in zone 12. The role is expected to also facilitate outreach activities to share important messaging to the asylum seekers residing in zone 12, facilitate cultural mediation, CwC or FGD sessions, support with hygiene NFIs distribution. This position reports to EH Officers and Senior SMS Officer.
Key tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work in partnership with the host refugee populations in the camp, aid workers and authorities to promote safe WASH practices in line with the WASH strategy
- Ensure that the communities are continuously involved and kept up to date about project activities and developments
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, distribution, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring
- Participate in distribution activities, both routine and emergency, as required in Lesvos
- Mobilizecommunities and individuals of different age groups to identify priority public health issues, hygiene promotion activities and take the appropriate actions to address them using IRCs Standard Operating Procedures
- Enhance communication and contact with communities by engaging with community members to discuss action plans, mobilize community participation and, through this, to act as a mentor throughout the planning and implementation processes
- Work with the EH Officers to collect, compile and submit all monitoring and evaluation data required to document project activities, and material and stock needs
- Support the Senior SMS Officer and EH Officers in the creation of distribution plans and implement these when required
- Monitor the desludging, waste removal and cleaning contractors and report to EH Officers
- Carry out Hygiene Promotion, outreach, monitoring activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles
- Mobilize community members throughout the programme
- Act in a way that is sensitive to gender, protection, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns
Disclaimer Clause: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with position.
Selection Criteria and Skills:
- Language speakers only (Dari/Farsi, Arabic or French)
- Language speakers will require either Greek or English skills
- Other languages can be considered a plus
- Some prior knowledge of health, hygiene, teaching, or community development will be considered a plus
- Affinity with and basic understanding of working with refugees
- Openness and willingness to work with people from different backgrounds
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of the community
- Excellent social, communication and listening skills
- Numeracy, and record keeping skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- All Outreach Assistants are required to adhere to The IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct every day – in the site and in the community.
- Maintain confidentiality
- While in transit sites, all IRC staff must wear appropriate IRC visibility
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.