As part of the TZ module “Program for the Reform of the Water Sector Phase II”, the development worker (DW) will advise employees of the Luapula Water and Sewerage Company (LpWSC) and selected district administrations in the Luapula province in northern Zambia on improving water and sanitation services in rural and peri-urban areas. The DW will advise on technical aspects within the utility (e.g. reduction of water losses, energy efficiency, customer management and communication), on the development of operator concepts for small-scale drinking water schemes in rural growth centers as well as on the topic of on-site-sanitation. The component in the Luapula region focusses on strengthening capacities of the LpWSC and selected local authorities for planning and implementation in order to improve water and sanitation services. This will contribute to the improvement of the health situation of the target group and forms the basis for regional economic development.
The DW will be embedded as an advisor in the Luapula Water and Sewerage Company and will directly report to the managing director or the director of one of its specialist departments. The DW will also work with local authorities and a team of external consultants commissioned by the project.
- Advise LpWSC on technical and organizational aspects of drinking water and sanitation supply
- Develop solutions for the operation of water schemes in rural growth centers together with selected local authorities and LpWSC
- Support partners in the development of communication tools, e.g. to achieve behavioral changes regarding household hygiene
- Cooperate closely with stakeholders in the water and sanitation sector, for example on aspects of vocational education and training and on the subject of food security and nutrition, which is promoted by other technical cooperation projects
- Appropriate professional background for advisory activities in water and sanitation.
- Professional experience with municipal utilities is an advantage.
- Ability to convey the interests of different actors within structured planning processes
- Experience in the cooperation of local networks, preferably in an African context.
- Hold a driver’s license and have adequate driving experience for long cross-country trips
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English
Location of assignment: Mansa, Luapula Province, Zambia
Climate: moderate tropical climate, moderate risk of malaria
Health care: Basic health care services on site; regular flight connections to Lusaka available
Shopping: well stocked supermarket (Shoprite) available
Reachability: Road connection is good; distance to/from Lusaka: 760 km; regular flight connections to Lusaka available
School situation: no international schools available
Other: Interesting opportunities for outdoor/leisure activities in the region: Luapula river, waterfalls, national parks, etc
GIZ’s Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
You can get an overview of our benefits packages here.