International Rivers seeks a world where healthy rivers thrive and peoples’ rights are protected. We are an inspiring global team of activists, lawyers, scientists and communicators, working to promote water and energy solutions for a just and sustainable world. International Rivers has offices in six countries throughout Latin America, Asia and Africa. We work in places of great beauty from Bhutan to Amazonia, and on iconic rivers from the Mekong to the Yangtze. We are looking for a passionate and strategic new Director of Finance and Operations to join our growing team. This position oversees all of International Rivers’ finance and operations activities and serves as a member of the senior management team. This is a regular full-time position in our Berkeley office and reports to the Executive Director.
The Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for maintaining the financial records and systems of International Rivers in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The Director of Finance and Operations works with the Executive Director to develop systems and procedures that ensure smooth internal functioning and successful operation of International Rivers. The Director identifies needs and challenges in the areas of finance and operational management within an international context, suggests solutions and identifies appropriate resources for addressing them. The Director serves on the Management Team of International Rivers, helping to develop and implement policies and procedures to support professional, effective, and transparent operations.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director, Management Team and Regional Directors in preparing the annual budget and monitoring the budget throughout the year;
- Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements and cash flow analyses, distribute quarterly consolidated reports, year-end projections, budget-to-actual reports and other reports to staff as requested;
- Oversee the financial management of our international offices which includes reconciling monthly regional reports, ensuring correct coding and posting to MIP accounting system;
- Oversee the annual audit and tax filings for all related entities of International Rivers as required;
- Aid the Board, Executive Director, Management Team and Regional Directors in understanding the financial reports of the organization;
- Supervise the Administrative Coordinator, who is responsible for accounts payable and maintaining records of consulting contracts, vendor agreements and adequate supporting documentation for payments, in addition to human resources and various operations tasks;
- Provide staff support to the Finance and Audit Committees of the IR Board of Directors, and to the Board of Directors of FIR as the Assistant Treasurer of FIR;
- Assist development staff with the preparation of grant proposal budgets and reports;
- Monitor use of grant funds in accordance with grant agreements; provide regular reports to the Management Team and Regional Directors regarding grant balances remaining;
- Process all cash receipts and accounts receivable, including entry in the MIP;
- Oversee all payroll processing, domestic and international;
- Prepare annual financial reports for Fund for International Rivers;
- Prepare quarterly or annual reports required by government agencies;
- Serve as International Rivers’ primary contact with external auditors and bookkeeping services;
- Manage organizational bank, stock and credit card accounts.
- Assists regional staff with the establishment and maintenance of regional offices in compliance with the requirements and regulations of the resident country;
- Secure and maintain necessary operational insurance coverage;
- Assist with negotiating leases and/or purchasing agreements for office space and equipment;
- Supervise the finance, human resources and operations components of the Administrative Coordinator’s responsibilities;
- Oversees IT administration.
Skills and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Non-Profit Management or a related field
- 5+ years of non-profit financial and operations management experience, preferably in an international context
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination
- Ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds
- Technology savvy with knowledge of accounting and reporting software, preferably Abila MIP
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Experience working in consensus-based organizations, and a demonstrated commitment to transparency and empowerment of team members.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills in a diverse team
- A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of International Rivers
- CPA is a plus
- Experience working with Board of Directors and Board committees
- Experience in grants management
- Preferably experience in overseeing a human resources function
Application Procedures and Closing Date:
To apply, send a resume and cover letter listing your salary requirements or history to [email protected], with Development of Finance and Operations in the subject line. Please include all items listed; incomplete applications will not be considered. Position open until filled.
Salary is commensurate with experience. International Rivers offers excellent benefits (vacation, sabbatical leave, 403(b), health insurance and more). International Rivers offers a stimulating, casual and flexible work environment.
International Rivers is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of age, class, disability status, ethnicity, gender, race and sexual orientation.