About the Organization
ReFED is an initiative that catalyzes leading U.S. organizations to harness substantial economic, social, and environmental value from wasted food. The initiative is aligned with the EPA/USDA goal of a 50 percent reduction in U.S. food waste by 2030.
ReFED was formed in early 2015 to create a Roadmap to Reduce U.S. Food Waste, the first ever national economic study and action plan driven by a collaboration of over thirty business, nonprofit, foundation and government leaders committed to tackling U.S. food waste at scale. ReFED seeks to unlock new philanthropic and investment capital, along with technology, business and policy innovation, to achieve this goal, which will catalyze tens of thousands of new jobs, recover billions of meals annually for the hungry, and reduce national water use and greenhouse gas emissions.
ReFED is a fiscally sponsored project of the New Venture Fund (501c3). For more information, and to access the Roadmap, visit: http://www.refed.com.
The Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for ReFED’s expansion, activities, staff, and execution of its mission. The ED will serve as the public face and voice of ReFED and play a leading role in building collaborative relationships with a range of stakeholders. The ED will report to a Steering Committee with oversight for the initiative.
- Work with the Steering Committee to develop and refine strategic plans; drive organizational growth in ways best suited to achieve ReFED’s mission of catalyzing bold steps to reduce food waste
- Determine specific organizational goals, and create plans of action to attain those goals by prioritizing key activities to pursue
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support current and future program operations, cultivating relationships with high-impact funder organizations
- Lead the design and delivery of programs to rapidly increase the capital available to scale food waste solutions
- Seize opportunities to deliver high impact outcomes, demonstrating the flexibility and entrepreneurialism required to capitalize upon new opportunities as they arise
- Manage existing relationships and build new partnerships with leading food businesses, cities, foundations, investors, federal government agencies, and other key organizations
- Serve as the primary external voice for ReFED, speaking publicly and responding to media requests
- Work with investors and other sources of financial capital to inspire investment in opportunities that can address the issue of food waste at scale
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications, including web presence, external relations, partnerships, and social media, with the goal of creating a strong brand
- Lead the design and delivery of strategic convenings for cross-sector stakeholders and partners in a variety of forums
- Lead, manage, and motivate ReFED staff in day-to-day activities. Oversee hiring, staff management, and performance evaluation to create a high-performing and inclusive work environment
- Develop and manage annual and multi-year budgets; conduct ongoing financial reviews, and ensure strong financial oversight
- Build and oversee effective dashboards and systems for tracking and evaluating organizational performance
- Manage non-profit governance to ensure proper compliance and government reporting
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree highly preferred
- A minimum of ten years of senior management experience, with demonstrated success leading, mentoring, and managing high-performance teams with multi-million dollar budgets
- Entrepreneurial spirit, with demonstrated success scaling organizations and/or initiatives, driving significant impact in a dynamic, high-growth environment
- Experience initiating and developing effective collaborations with diverse groups of stakeholders, ideally in a role building and managing a large-scale, multi-stakeholder initiative
- Strong strategic and critical problem solving skills; ability to take a systems approach to solve complex societal problems
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to influence decision makers across a range of sectors, including, but not limited to: corporations, municipalities, foundations, and investment firms
- Expertise in impact investing, social finance and innovation strongly preferred
- Expertise and passion for issues of sustainability, with demonstrated integrity, self-direction, and data fluency
- Strong working knowledge of food systems and sustainability, with experience working to reduce food waste while addressing the related social, environmental, and economic issues preferred
ReFED is a project of the New Venture Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. The New Venture Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. The New Venture Fund’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.