The Fisheries and Aquaculture Policy and Resources Division (FIA) is responsible for the economic, social, institutional, governance and policy aspects of FAO’s activities related to fisheries and aquaculture and their development, with particular emphasis on human well-being, food security and poverty reduction; post-harvest utilization, marketing and trade with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security and the well-being of fishing communities; collection, compilation, validation, trend analysis and dissemination of the best available and up-to-date fishery statistics and for the syndication of the FAO information on all aspects of world fisheries and aquaculture. The Division is also responsible for FAO’s activities related to the management and conservation of the living aquatic resources used by fisheries and aquaculture, including the biodiversity and ecosystem maintenance, with particular emphasis on most vulnerable and threatened species and habitats; management of responsible fisheries and aquaculture in accordance with modern management standards and best practices; development of fisheries technology, with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security and the well-being of fishing communities, including the safety of fishers and fishing vessels.
The Fishery Officer reports to the Senior Fisheries Officer, Fishery, Policy, Economics and Institutions.
Identification, design, implementation support and monitoring of the project on fisheries co-management and diverse livelihoods. It includes strategic and policy work, with a focus on capacity development for recipient countries, including both government agencies and fishing communities.
Collection and analysis of information, data and statistics and project / meeting services to support programme projects, products and services.
• Collects and analyses relevant technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional and technology related information, data and/or statistics to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
• Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical/scientific documents;
• Participates in the development of improved work methods, tools and systems;
• Updates databases and web pages;
• Participates in multidisciplinary project/work teams;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
• Participates in the organization, conducts and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• Provides technical support to implement projects with FAO internal units and partners;
• Establishes and maintains relationships with donors and relevant stakeholders at international, national and local levels;
• Provides products of quality, input and support to meet the standards of the Project Implementation Reviews, Mid-term Reviews and Terminal Evaluations.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in economics, fisheries economics or marine affairs with a specialization in fisheries management and/or governance or other field related to natural resources management;
• Three years of relevant experience in fishery policy, management of fisheries, capacity development or a related field;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in collecting and analysing technical information and data;
• Extent and relevance of experience in collaborating with partners;
• Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in related fields such as fisheries co-management and project management;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation, editing and revision of technical/scientific documents and in organizing meetings and workshops;
• Extent and relevance of experience in working on capacity development with stakeholders.