- Bachelor's degree in sustainability, business, technology, engineering, science, economics or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of relevant experience in corporate sustainability, energy, climate, or relevant non-governmental organization (NGO) working with corporations, or a similar corporate role.
- Experience building and managing a corporate sustainability program that includes global manufacturing and/or industrial operations.
- Experience in operations, with the ability to build working relationships across business units.
- Effective analytical skills including ability to develop business cases, supervise development of analytics and metrics, set goals, and identify gaps and opportunities for new projects and programs.
- Industry perspective including broad networks with NGOs, relevant academic institutions, industry best practices, and leading edge sustainability trends and concepts.
- Excellent communication skills, and comfort presenting to C-level executives, and proven facilitation skills.
- Excellent program management skills and comfort dealing with ambiguity.
About the job
As the Data Center Sustainability Lead, you will combine your deep sustainability knowledge with tech industry savvy to coordinate initiatives and develop and implement new sustainability strategies throughout the lifecycle of our data center campuses.
You will be charged with aligning and balancing business needs with technical competency related to industrial environments. You will be critical in advocating sustainability efforts, coordinating activities across teams, and developing new opportunities for sustainability initiatives.
You will engage closely with data center strategy, delivery, and operations teams to identify and execute on sustainability opportunities across the data center life cycle. You will coordinate across many existing data center sustainability efforts to build a cohesive strategy and execution plan with metrics to track performance. You will also be responsible for advocating the industry leading nature of our work, and will act as a liaison with cross-functional sustainability teams.
- Develop the overall data center sustainability strategy in conjunction with cross-functional teams including data center design, construction, and operations.
- Manage a team to build the program, identify new opportunities, partner with related teams, engage the data center business units, and execute on the strategy.
- Be a primary spokesperson for data center sustainability topics and ensure recognition for the work Google data centers is doing through advocating and engaging in relevant industry groups, public policy forums, and helping to influence public policy and industry standards.
- Advocate the case for sustainability as a form of innovation in the data center space.
- Liaise with Google/Alphabet-level sustainability teams and leaders to ensure consistency of messaging, reporting the work of the data center teams, and participating in broad-based strategy setting.