The WASH Team Leader will lead the emergency WASH response in areas of intervention by DRC, providing urgent lifesaving water, sanitation and hygiene to vulnerable persons (IDPs, Refugees and Host Community).
a) Reports to: WASH Manager
b) Subordinates: WASH Officer, WASH Assistant, Hygiene Promotion Officer and Assistant.
• Under the supervision of the WASH Manager, implement all construction, maintenance and repair activities as defined by requirements.
• Supervise the WASH Technical Officer(s) and other staff throughout the planning and implementation of the emergency response.
• Identify direct and indirect beneficiary needs in terms of access to suitable shelter, housing, infrastructure, WASH facilities and other community services, taking into consideration the specific needs of vulnerable individuals and persons of concern.
• Support, facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation.
• Work closely with WASH Manager(s) in order to implement projects according to relevant local, national and international technical standards.
• Survey, plan, design and supervise the implementation of camp, non-camp and community infrastructure as defined by project requirements.
• Conduct complete site surveys with drawings and photographs, prepare designs, prepare detailed BOQs and Schedule of Works and follow all necessary procedures to ensure timely delivery of work to the required quality, including ensuring necessary liaison with local authorities and obtaining of required authorisations and permits.
• Ensure daily monitoring of the quality of construction and the progress of project/works implementation.
• Provide regular updates on progress to supervisors and other team members, including other departments and sectors as appropriate.
• Prepare weekly reports for the WASH Manager(s) to document office and site activities, including communications with external actors, action points, decisions / changes made, and progress, including post-impact monitoring.
• Ensure regular and timely reporting of problems, potential delays or risks to project implementation to the relevant supervisor, and support in the development and execution of solutions and mitigating actions. Prepare Order Request forms, Purchase Orders, Payment Requests and other standard documents to enable timely delivery of materials, works and services.
• Be responsible for communication of project requirements and deadlines to suppliers, contractors and subcontractors, DRC staff and other hired workers, ensuring full compliance of all actors and partners with DRC Code of Conduct, Code of Ethics, HAP and other compulsory regulations.
• Where relevant, liaise with donors and partners on project updates, site visits and other communication.
• Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager;
• Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
• Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct, HAP and other key documents.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Relevant technical background and experience in emergency response contexts in the WASH sector.
• Experience working with or for NGOs and/or UN agencies, particularly international humanitarian organisations in refugee / IDP contexts (e.g. camps and collective shelters).
• Proven experience managing teams in complex environments.
• Several years’ professional work experience in designing and managing water and sanitation infrastructure.
• Proficiency in spoken and written English and Arabic is essential; Kurdish desirable.
• Proficiency in the following computer programmes: Autocad (or other CAD software), MS Excel, MS Word.
• Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a hostile/complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member.
• Familiarity with international humanitarian and protection standards (e.g. Sphere)
• Dedication, commitment and ability to prioritise activities under pressure;
• Self-motivated and organised;
• Strong leadership and decision-making skills;
• Excellent communication and organisation;
• Systematic planning and analytical skills;
• Excellent knowledge and understanding of local communities and customary rules;
• Ethical, transparent and accountable decision-making;
• High regard toward preserving confidentiality of work-related information and data;
Languages: A high level of spoken and written English and fluency in Arabic is essential; spoken Kurdish desirable.
a) Maximum purchasing approval: USD$0
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments.
All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact at [email protected] .Please note that applications
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.