This position is located within the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Services (ARS), National Sedimentation Laboratory Water Quality and Ecology Research Unit in Oxford, Mississippi.
The incumbent performs a variety of tests that are not completely standardized, using various standard references, guides, and precedents to obtain needed information, and select and adapt methods and procedures.
- Collects water samples from the field using specialty equipment and defined procedures (e.g. automated samples).
- Prepares water samples for analysis using defined methods.
- Selects the best method for presenting the data and prepares drafts, drawings, charts, figures and reports illustrating and summarizing results for use by the research scientist in preparation of manuscripts, reports, etc.
- Examines data to identify the cause of deviations e.g., equipment malfunctions, sampling technique, or observation errors; and recognizes and reports errors, inconsistencies, and other deficiencies in the technical data.
- Sets up, adjusts, and operates laboratory/field equipment (e.g. flumes, weirs, automated sampling devices, solar power supplies), records instrumental readings, uses simple mathematical procedures to convert instrument readings.
- Conducts, assembles, and installs new equipment (e.g. automated water samples, stage measurement devices, weather stations) and modifies and repairs experimental or other equipment used in the conduct of research assignments.