- Tenure: Commence July 2020 until 30 June 2022 with possibility of 1 year extension (handover with existing Chair from May 2020)
- Remuneration: $20,000 – Any associated travel aligned to the Partnerships functions will be reimbursed to the value of $10,000 per annum
The Mackay-Whitsunday-Isaac Healthy Rivers to Reef Partnership is now seeking “Expressions of Interest” for the position of Chair – Healthy Rivers to Reef Partnership.
Launched in 2014, the Partnership is a collaboration between community, Traditional Owners, farmers and fishers, industry, science, tourism and government who recognise that more can be achieved by working together rather than as individuals.
The primary purpose of the Partnership is to develop an annual Mackay-Whitsunday-Isaac regional waterway health report card. The report card uses the best independent science and integrates a range of Great Barrier Reef (GBR) wide and regional monitoring programs to measure waterway health in an environmental, social, economic and cultural context. By drawing on information from existing monitoring programs, duplications and gaps can be identified, and more easily communicated information provided to the community in a cost-effective way.
The reporting region for the Mackay-Whitsunday-Isaac Partnership includes five regional basins (the Don, Proserpine, Pioneer, O’Connell and Plane), urban areas, the ports of Abbot Point, Mackay and Hay Point, marinas and the adjacent coastal and marine area to the eastern boundary of the GBR Marine Park.
The Chair of the Mackay-Whitsunday-Isaac Healthy Rivers to Reef Partnership will:
- Promote the Partnership to prospective partners and sponsors to increase membership (as appropriate).
- Promote the interests of the Mackay-Whitsunday-Isaac region and the Partnership at relevant GBR and state and national forums, meetings and other events, this includes reporting back to the Partnership on the discussion and outcomes of such meetings.
- Review documents, marketing and web materials produced for the Partnership as required by the Partnership and/or Management Committee.
- Maintain strong relationships with Partnership members to ensure the successful delivery of the Partnership’s annual report card for the region and continued financial and in-kind contributions from members of the Partnership.
- Undertake media interviews on behalf of the Partnership.
- Maintain strong ties and communication with other chairs of regional report card Partnerships.
- Be aware of and abstain from any conflict of interest.
- Foster a positive working relationship between the Partnership, Management Committee and the host organisation.
- Be available for travel including overnight stays around the region, state and interstate to represent the Partnership when required.
- Play an active role in assisting the Executive Officer to recruit new Partners.
- Play an active role in providing leadership and mentoring to Partnership staff.
Key skills and attributes required of the position
- Based in the region OR able to promote the interests of the Partnership from outside the region at Governance hubs such as Townsville or Brisbane.
- Chaired similar initiatives previously.
- Proven conflict resolution skills/experience.
- A background in and/or strong experience in providing leadership and strategic direction, and is able to provide strategic leadership of the Partnership.
- Proven and effective facilitation, relationship-building and communication skills.
- Tact, diplomacy, ability to reconcile opposing views, as well as self-awareness and self-management to be able to empathetically manage situations.
- A background in and/or strong understanding of policy, land management and/or agriculture or Reef/marine management.
- Commitment to positive environmental outcomes in the region.
How to apply:
- More information about the Mackay-Whitsunday-Isaac Healthy Rivers to Reef Partnership and its activities is available at http://healthyriverstoreef.org.au
- Further information can be obtained by contacting: Human Resources, phone: (07) 4968 4222 or email: [email protected]
How you will be assessed
Those wishing to express an interest in the position are required to:
- Attach your current resume (of no more than 4 pages) including names and contact details of at least two (2) referees who have knowledge of your work;
- Provide a response to the questions listed under the key skills and attributes that outline your suitability for the position. Your response should be no more than 3 pages;
The selection panel will assess your ability to perform the work required of the position based on your response and resume and other selection processes which may include an interview and/or work test.
Referees will be contacted to verify the information you provide and to comment on how you demonstrate the attributes being sought.
Please forward completed applications and selection criteria, to [email protected] by close of business, Monday 30 March 2020.
Position Description – HR2R Chair 2020.pdf