Water Conservation Program Manager
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world's toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 79 countries and territories, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners. To learn more, visit www.nature.org or follow @nature_press on Twitter.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Water Conservation Program Manager provides technical and scientific support and leadership for water conservation initiatives with YKAN, this position will conduct project implementation that related to water conservation by provide daily based project management, stakeholder engagement, collaborative approach and provide technical inputs based on science in hydrology.
The Water Conservation Program Manager leads the water conservation project(s). S/he builds strategic, scientific and technical capacity in the field, and develops key partnership with public and private organizations to identify and resolve technical issues and to widely communicate solutions and best practices. S/he addresses the natural system needs, engage local community to support local conservation efforts and negotiate complex and innovative solution with government agencies. S/he is responsible to provide technical inputs and scientific recommendations. This position also required to conduct field data collection, literature review, reports writing and develop proposals.
These may include one or more of the following functions:
- Together with his/her supervisor and other team members, develops and implements conservation strategies and institutional best practice that suits with local community.
- Support the development of innovative scientific methods, analyses, tools, and frameworks to meaningfully engage communities in development and natural resource management initiatives.
- Facilitate communities in their initiatives to take part in natural resource management, climate change mitigation, livelihood development, etc.
- Help link communities and village government with government agencies at the different levels, private companies, NGOs, etc.
- Coordinate with related district, provincial and central governments.
- Coordinate and help build the capacity of local NGO partners, as needed.
- Collect, document and analyze various types of data and information through focus group discussions, key informant interviews, household survey, etc.
This position reports directly to the Director for SIGAP Alliance. S/he will be based in Jakarta.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Manage multi-disciplinary administrative and professional staff, with responsibility for performance management, training and career development.
- Implement program strategic goals on Water Fund related program initiative within YKAN.
- Manage and implement multiple project that related to landscape conservation, water conservation, and other relevant water issues.
- May manage and participate in complex negotiation with relevant stakeholders in initiate and develop Water Fund project(s), Koalisi Air and other initiatives, this include government, private sectors, researcher and NGOs and community.
- Develop adaptive management plans, conceptual models and design ecosystem conservation strategies that relevant to water conservation.
- Develop recommendation with science based for relevant conservation/hydrology/biodiversity data, field services and training to staff and partners.
- Under minimal supervision, makes independent decisions based on analysis, experience and context.
- May manage a grant, contract or request for proposal.
- Ensures program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
- Must work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years experiences or Master's degree in water related science field (i.e. hydrology, geohydrology, environmental study, geology, geography) and 2 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience managing complex or multiple projects, including staffing, workloads and finance under deadlines.
- Good understanding of conservation with landscape planning and payment for environment services (PES) approach.
- Good understanding of hydrology modelling tools such as SWAT, InVest (Natural Capital), etc.
- Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
- Experience synthesizing, interpreting and communicating scientific information.
- Experience negotiating.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience working and communicating with a wide range of people.
- Experience in partnership development with non-profit partners, community groups and/or government agencies.
- Experienced with water related program, water conservation will be plus.
- Experienced work with wide stakeholder from private sectors, government, researcher and NGOs will be plus.
- Ability to work in partnership with others in a collaborative or advisory role.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive and write creatively for a wide variety of audiences.
- Experience developing, managing, and implementing goals, plans, and complex processes.
- Proven negotiation skills.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 48611, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on April 1, 2020.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.