Programme Associate – eLearning Content Designer (PSA)
United Nations University Objectives:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are concerns of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information, please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University-Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS):
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of Research and Training Institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
The Pan African Cooperation and Educational Technologies (PACET) section at UNU-EHS aims to strengthen research, educational and institutional capacities of UNU-EHS in Africa. The program fosters cooperation between UNU and African institutions in higher education, research, policy and practice to develop innovative methods and appropriated solutions to address challenges particularly in the frame of the Agenda 2063 of the African Union and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The section is looking for a multimedia content designer to support eLearning activities at the institute. The institute develops open educational resources for sharing with educators, students and self-learners to use, reuse and adapt them in teaching, learning and research. Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) play a key role in the activities of the institute with regard to eLearning/distance education, open source technologies and new media in the context of Web 2.0 technologies to facilitate communication and knowledge sharing, to enhance project work, and to design and deliver learning materials.
In the frame of projects such as WESA (Water and Energy Security in Africa), GlobeDrought on characterizing drought and risk impact, CLIMAFRI on the implementation of climate-sensitive adaptation strategies to reduce flood risk in Togo and Benin, and a collaboration with UNEP on environment and migration, the institute is supporting the institutional development of partners with regards to eLearning by enhancing their teaching and research activities, the design and development of eLearning courses and programs, as well as social and professional networking.
Under the authority of the Director of UNU-EHS and the supervision of the Head of PACET, the successful candidate will be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Support the development of multimedia content for educational purposes (graphics, illustration, animation, video, audio);
- Support the design and development of eLearning courses and ICT based educational materials;
- Support the development of print and multimedia materials for communication and marketing purposes;
- Support the multimedia documentation (recording, editing and publishing) of conferences, workshops and educational events;
- Support the introduction and administration of social media for educational purposes;
- Support the design and delivery of web based educational content;
- Support the organization of educational events such as semester and block courses, seminars, workshops, and summer schools in Germany and abroad;
- Take up related duties as required.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Field of Study: Master’s degree with minimum of two (2) years of working experience in multimedia, graphic design, computer science, information/communication technologies, education or a related field;
- Proven experience with eLearning tools and software: Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Audition, etc.), authoring tools (Articulate, Adobe Captivate, Camtasia, etc.) and animation tools (Adobe After Effects, Adobe Animate, VideoScribe, etc.);
- Experience in the design and development of eLearning based educational material. Instructional design experience will be considered as an asset;
- Proven experience with using digital cameras, for corporate video, short film, corporate publishing, lecture recording, etc.;
- Good knowledge of relevant digital publishing platforms (web and mobile) including familiarity with social media platforms and Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress;
- Excellent command of English. German and/or other languages will be considered an asset;
- Ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with high level stakeholders;
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work well in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of Contract:
This is a full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with possibility for renewal subject to satisfactory work performance and availability of funds, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
This post is open to applicants from all countries and UNU will aid the successful applicant in securing a work visa for Germany, as necessary. It is, however, a locally recruited post and no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible