Water and Air
Responsibilities and task
- Participate and/or lead field missions to maintain automatic weather stations, hydrological stations, temperature data loggers, and other technical equipment at high altitude in collaboration with regional and international partners.
- Ensure together with the Cryosphere team and other colleagues of the Water and Air Thematic Area that hydrological, meteorological, and glaciological field equipment is functional. Maintain, arrange repair or procure new equipment when necessary. Take initiative in the selection or development of equipment according to ICIMOD regulations.
- Process and ensure accuracy and quality of meteorological, hydrological, and glaciological data that is acquired routinely. Keep data base up to date and share data with partners.
- Conduct statistical analyses of environmental data. Synthesize results and provide recommendations based on these analyses.
- Contribute to the preparation of technical reports and specific elements of scientific manuscripts.
- Work collaboratively within the Water and Air Thematic Area and in coordination with ICIMOD’s regional programmes, specifically River Basins and Cryosphere, and Atmosphere, to support other relevant activities and promote institutional goals. This includes working on multidisciplinary topics.
- A master’s degree, preferably in glaciology, meteorology, hydrology, environmental sciences, geography, geophysics, geology or related subjects with at least three years of relevant work experience is required. A first-level university degree in combination with six years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Strong fieldwork skills, including technical maintenance of scientific instruments in remote and/or high-altitude environments
- Strong numerical skills; programming/statistical data-processing and analysis skills (R, Python, or MATLAB)
- Experience in mountaineering techniques as well as physical fitness to work in demanding conditions at high altitudes
- Ability to work independently as well as with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
- Good record of publications in relevant subject areas
- Experience in glacio-hydrological and/or energy balance modelling is desirable.
- Cross-cultural impact: Adapts to various customs and practices
- Result and impact orientation: Works in challenging situations to generate concrete results, successfully transforming output to outcome
- Teamwork and cooperation: Solicits ideas and opinions to help form specific plans and take decisions cohesively
- Networking and stakeholder management: Identifies relevant stakeholders and other external parties and builds relationships with them
- Impactful communication: Is an active listener and able to tailor convincing messages for different audiences, integrating ideas from several sources
- Continuous improvement and innovation: Spots opportunities for improvement, encourages new ideas, and implements new technologies to enhance workflow
- Analytical thinking: Simplifies complex issues to identify the essence of a problem or opportunity in order to make effective, timely decisions
- Behavioural flexibility and change management: Adapts to change and adjusts to new responsibilities and circumstances
The duty station is Kathmandu. Frequent travel and fieldwork will be required.
Two years, with a probation period of six months, starting as early as possible, with a possibility of extension subject to performance and ICIMOD’s future funding levels.
Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are competitive compared with other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and equity policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD upholds a gender equity policy and is supportive of women professionals. It operates a day-care centre at the campus and is committed to the integration of gender equity at organizational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 30 March 2020 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.