UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, clean water
How can you make a difference?
The incumbent of WASH Specialist will support the WASH team in the implementation of its Financing, Private sector engagement and Knowledge Management (KM),
The WASH Officer also provides technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the WASH programming process. The incumbent prepares, manages and implements a variety of technical tasks, related to the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the WASH output results of the Country Programme and the Regional Office Management Plan 2018 – 2021. Activities will include periodic review and update of countries financing briefs, private sector engagement and KM strategy and plan, update of EAPRO WASH SharePoint site, ensure compliance to ECM project, monitoring of EAPRO inputs to the WASH Bulletin, compilation and dissemination of WASH e-news in the region, development of inventories of knowledge products, support to countries developing new knowledge products, coordination of flagship knowledge products across regions and countries including on the enabling environment, and design of training courses to help develop skills in a new skills.
The main objectives of the work will be:
- To support countries in private sector engagement (WASH4Work strategy), Market assessment and sector financing and coordination and management of the regional WASH KM functions;
- Development of cutting-edge knowledge products in various areas of UNICEF work; and
- Support of the capacity building activities in a new areas of UNICEF work and dissemination of new knowledge into country programmes
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support countries in private sector engagement (WASH4Work strategy), Market assessment and sector financing and coordination and management of the regional WASH KM functions;
- Develop and updates for WASH in the situation analysis in WASH financing, private sector energumen, to inform the development of WASH-related outcome and output results. Research and report on trends in WASH financing and market assessment, for use in programme development, management, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Prepare technical reports, briefs and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevance of information in different areas of WASH
- Support countries policies briefs and WASH financing strategies, Business cases and investment cases
- Support countries in development of methodologies, tools in different areas of works an in emerging areas
- Development of cutting-edge knowledge products in various areas of UNICEF work;
- Assist in the identification of new ideas, research and knowledge in the WASH sector and develop a plan for collection and dissemination.
- Connect with other organization and knowledge institutions that can support UNICEF’s effort in that direction.
- Support of the capacity building activities in a new area
- Assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems).
- Assist in the preparation of learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Assist in creating and delivering learning opportunities for UNICEF WASH staff in the EAP region, to ensure our sector capacity remains up-to-date with latest developments.
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
- Support in organizing learning and knowledge exchange events, virtual meetings and webinars for cross-regional learning
- Support donors reporting and country progress monitoring
- Draft all the donors report and provide data analysis to inform on the accuracy of the report submitted by country offices;
- Analyze countries WASH data and provide information for country support and orientations.
- Collect and document best practice and human-interest stories for donor reporting.
- Facilitate and update all the WASH related online information tools and platforms (SharePoint, yammer, WASH in Emergency toolkit etc.) on a periodic basis and maintain up-to-date information of access and use
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A Master’s Degree in public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering or other specialist field related to WASH is required.
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree is a strong asset
- A minimum of five years of professional work experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries
- Verbal and written proficiency in English and another UN language is required.
- Skills in managing and operating web pages, web design, SharePoint sites, use of publisher etc. will be an additional asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are…
- Formulating strategies and concepts (II)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
This is a re-advertisement in order to expand the candidate pool. Previous applicants need not reapply as their original application will be duly considered
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Fri Mar 13 2020 04:45:00 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time) SE Asia Standard Time
Closing Date Sun Mar 29 2020 18:55:00 GMT+0200 (Central European Summer Time)