As a leader with Northrop Grumman, you always act with integrity, and the highest ethical standards characterize everything you do. You enable your team to achieve predictable and balanced results, while satisfying the needs of internal and external partners. You treat all people with respect, and you model personal growth and continuous development. You know how to build an inclusive environment that attracts, retains, and inspires a diverse and engaged team. You develop trusted and valued customer relationships and communicate effectively, so that people throughout the organization feel engaged and connected to their work. You deliver excellence, strive for continuous improvement and respond vigorously to change.
Northrop Grumman’s Enterprise Services organization is seeking a Manager of Environmental Sustainability who will join the Corporate Environmental, Health and Safety organization, locate in Falls Church, VA and lead a high-performing team that is responsible for driving the advancement of environmental programs across the company. The selected candidate will be responsible for providing leadership and strategic direction to the company’s greeNG environmental sustainability program and company-wide environmental initiatives.
A key responsibility of this role will be maintaining strong collaboration with the business unit teams and providing support in their execution of environmental programs and in alignment with company objectives and goals. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thought leader and a strong collaborator who has experience in leading environmental sustainability initiatives and a foundation in environmental compliance.
Key functional responsibilities include:
• Provide strategic leadership for the development, execution, and evolution of the company’s environmental strategy in collaboration with internal stakeholders and in alignment with the company’s overall sustainability vision and strategy.
• Drive performance to current environmental sustainability objectives and goals and lead the process for developing the company’s future approach and beyond-2020 environmental goals.
• Lead environmental compliance initiatives that address company-wide or multi-business unit requirements. Collaborate with internal stakeholders and business units on changes to environmental requirements, supporting compliance programs, and enhancing best practice sharing and efficiency.
• Oversee the annual data collection and measurement efforts for all environmental footprint data (e.g. greenhouse gas emissions, energy, water, solid waste, hazardous waste, etc.) and manage the reporting of internal and external environmental sustainability metrics.
• Collaborate to drive environmental sustainability strategies and initiatives within business operations such as facilities, engineering, manufacturing, and global supply chain.
• Lead the Energy Services function responsible for best practice sharing for energy efficiency, management of related IT systems, the expansion of renewable energy, and retail energy procurement activities.
• Engage with external environment-focused partners and industry groups on policies, strategies, and resources that can be utilized by internal stakeholders to support environmental management.
• Manage development of environmental communications and environmental content for external disclosures (e.g. Corporate Responsibility Report, CDP Climate, Dow Jones Sustainability Index, etc.).
To learn more about our hiring process for manager positions, please view our, Selecting the Best Qualified Managers video:
• Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline with 10+ years of experience; or 8 years of experience with Master’s degree
• 5+ years of specific experience in environmental sustainability
• Knowledge of environmental regulations and policies (e.g. RCRA, TSCA, REACH, CWA, CAA).
• Demonstrated success leading teams/and or organizations to achieve a common goal
• Proven experience/skill in the creation and delivery of professional presentations to executive leadership, with the ability to explain complex concepts to diverse audiences
• Must be able to travel and work remotely
• Degree with an engineering, environmental sciences, and/or sustainability focus
• Expertise in environmental sustainability concepts (e.g. greenhouse gas emissions, climate-related risk management, water stewardship, circular economy, product stewardship, etc.)
• Experience with integrating sustainability into business and with the application of environmental regulations and policies; specifically within the industrial/manufacturing sector preferred
• Proficiency with content development for environmental sustainability disclosures (e.g. CDP, DJSI, GRI, TCFD, etc.)
• Strong analytical background and problem solving mindset