Job Description WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of one of the world’s leading engineering and professional services firms—WSP. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment sectors. With more than 9,500 people in 150 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. Position Description The Environmental Process and Policy practice within the US Advisory Services provides strategic advice on navigating the environmental review and approval process as well as conducting comprehensive policy analysis for both public and private clients throughout the United States. Although primarily focused on the transportation sector, the environmental policy practice is expanding its areas of service and is targeting growth in all areas of the WSP portfolio including energy, water and environment, and buildings. There is an immediate opening in our Washington D.C. location for a principal environmental policy consultant with experience in developing and implementing regulatory and permitting strategies to accelerate the environmental permitting and reviews for infrastructure projects in the sectors covered by WSP’s national portfolio. The ideal candidate will possess functional knowledge of the primary federal laws governing infrastructure development and will have the experience and skills to clearly and effectively provide advice to WSP’s clients on matters of environmental policy. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter, with political savvy, and excellent communication skills eager to join a growing practice. Project management experience is a plus. The principal environmental policy consultant will work directly with the Service Area Manager, supporting both project work and efforts to identify and leverage market opportunities to grow the practice. Project-related work may include identifying efficiencies in the environmental review process for clients, detailing applicable laws and regulations to ensure environmental compliance, developing strategies for coordination among project partners, and engaging in research and report development, among other tasks. The principal environmental policy consultant will be required to write professionally for a variety of audiences and interact with clients as well as federal, state and local government representatives.
- The principal environmental policy consultant will provide technical expertise for research and policy analysis, as well as project-related strategies. Minimum of 12 years progressively responsible relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, environmental planning, urban and regional planning, geography, public policy, or a closely related field; Master’s degree in the same preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to perform highly complex qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Ability to direct work related engagements
- Ability to distribute work assignments to more junior consultants to ensure the most efficient utilization and therefore, profitability and to provide guidance to and reviews of work of more junior consultants
Experience applying the requirements of the primary laws and regulations governing infrastructure development including but not limited to:
- National Environmental Policy Act
- Clean Water Act
- Clean Air Act
- Endangered Species Act
- National Historic Preservation Act
- Section 4(f)
- Section 6(f)
- Environmental Justice
- One Federal Decision
- Experience and working knowledge of the environmental procedures for multiple federal agencies implementing infrastructure projects
- Acumen in developing and nurturing relationships with potential teaming partners
- Ability to manage scope, schedule and budget proposals for large or very complex projects
- Ability to manage scope, schedule and budget for small to medium task orders
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- The ability to manage time effectively and prioritize competing interests
- The ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Active participation in professional associations and the ability to deliver presentations at conferences and public meetings
- Must set a positive example for more junior staff
- Must be legally entitled to work in the U.S.A.
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the transportation, buildings, energy, water and environment sectors. With nearly 9,500 people in 150 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com/usa
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be a key piece in our meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
As a federal contractor and recipient of federal funds, WSP USA is a drug free workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer - Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.