Environmental Scientist, Water Resources Consultant (Associate Level)
ERM (Environmental Resource Management) is seeking a motivated field-oriented Environmental Scientist - Water Resources in Sudbury, Ontario to support our mining services team in Northern Ontario and across Canada. The successful candidate will join our growing integrated water resource management team, and will safely plan and execute field programs, manage and analyze datasets associated with surface water, groundwater, and meteorology, and contribute to written deliverables. The successful candidate will be highly organized, able to problem solve technical challenges in remote areas, and prepared to travel to projects across Canada and internationally. This is an excellent opportunity for an early career professional to join a growing and exciting team, as you build a rewarding career path with a global sustainability leader. This is a fixed-term position until November 2020, with possibility to extend.
ERM is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, and social consulting services with offices in over 40 countries. We have worked with many of the Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing. The breadth of experience over our 40-year history means we have an extraordinary track record and excel at taking on complex and challenging projects.
Our clients are primarily in the mining and oil & gas sectors, and we support projects through all phases of the project life cycle. We are currently engaged in exciting, transformative projects with major clients.
- Organize and implement monitoring programs, including hydrometric station installation, surveying and streamflow measurement, and water sampling.
- Compile, manage and assess hydrometric, climate, and water quality data.
- Support technical report writing and developing strategies for clients on a wide range of capital projects and studies, including environmental baseline studies, federal and provincial environmental assessments, mine closure planning, regulatory permitting, compliance programs, due diligence transaction projects and related activities.
- Assist project managers with work plan development, project coordination, and adherence to budgets and schedules.
- Work within quality/budget/schedule expectations and scope specific assignments.
- Assist with technical proposals and support business development with existing clients and identified leads.
- Communicate with clients, ERM employees, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor degree in Water/Environmental Sciences or Engineering or related discipline.
- 3 to 5 years of experience, including field experience in studies in hydrology, stream flow assessment, and water quality sampling. Technical experience in environmental assessment, mine permitting, compliance management, and management systems within the mining sector is also an asset.
- Strong commitment to safety, including following established Health & Safety protocols.
- Demonstrated attributes to become a strong consultant – team player, eagerness to learn and grow, self-starter who takes initiative, versatile, and service-oriented mentality.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and organization/analytical skills; experience writing comprehensive technical reports and standards.
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced consulting environment, handling multiple project assignments and meeting strict deadlines.
- Understanding of the federal and provincial legislation and policy frameworks relevant to this role.
- Demonstrated ability to apply a high standard of scientific rigour to all projects and deliverables.
- Strong MS Office computer skills; advanced understanding of PowerPoint, Excel, and Project desired.
- Ability to maintain flexibility, travel, and work independently.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Experience and interest in field work in remote locations.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- French language skills an asset.
Who We Are:
As the world’s leading sustainability consulting firm, ERM is uniquely positioned to contribute to the environment and society through the expertise and energy of our employees worldwide. Sustainability is what we do, and is at the heart of both our service offerings and how we operate our business. ERM and our partners are driven by a dynamic vision: By 2021 we will be the clear leader in our chosen markets, we will double in value and we will deliver on our promises to our clients, our people and our investors. For our people, our vision means attracting, inspiring, developing and rewarding our people to work with the best clients and on the biggest challenges, thus creating valuable careers. We achieve our vision in a sustainable manner by maintaining and living our ERM values that include Accountability, Caring for our People, Client Focus, Collaboration, Empowerment, and Transparency.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter. Qualified candidates will be contacted by email, and requested to complete a video questionnaire. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
ERM welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
ERM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!