Earthjustice’s Washington, DC, office is hiring Associate Attorneys to conduct legal advocacy and litigation. The position requires 1-5 years of post-law school legal experience.
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on high impact, precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters and citizens to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Miami, Denver, Seattle, Chicago, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
Earthjustice is now accepting applications for Associate Attorneys to join its Washington, D.C, office. This office serves both as a center for litigation on important national environmental issues, and as a regional office for issues arising in the Mid-Atlantic states. The current docket includes litigation and advocacy to: curb climate change pollution; protect public health and the environment from air pollution, including in disproportionately impacted communities; ensure safe drinking water and clean rivers; protect people from the dangers of hazardous wastes and toxic chemicals; and secure strong energy efficiency standards for the nation. For more information about the office’s work, visit http://earthjustice.org/about/offices/dc .
The attorneys selected for the position will have the opportunity to play a key role in legal actions that can make a real difference to people’s health and well-being, and in protection of important environmental values.
- Work closely with Staff Attorneys and clients to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases and other advocacy projects.
- Participate, with increasing responsibility, in a range of tasks required for case development and litigation than can include factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
- As an Associate Attorney gains experience, typically her or his case load will include both cases for which he or she has primary responsibility under the supervision of a Staff Attorney, and cases on which he or she works in a supporting role with Staff Attorneys.
The Associate Attorney program is a three-year position with a possible extension. This program is designed to help early career attorneys develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. Earthjustice seeks to foster the development, mentoring, and professional growth of Associates. Many Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice or with other public interest organizations.
- Law school graduate admitted to, or eligible to apply for admission to, the District of Columbia Bar.
- 1-5 years of post-law school legal experience, with litigation experience preferred.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, sound judgment, and creativity.
- Ability to work constructively and in a highly professional manner in a diverse, dynamic, and hard-working team-oriented atmosphere.
- Commitment to public interest work and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- Awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range for 1- 5 years experience in Washington, DC: $77,235 – $95,285
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses at least the following subjects: (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or social justice issues that inspire you; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues. Also, please include the earliest date you would be available to begin work.
- Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that is either unedited or only lightly edited by someone other than you. Please include a cover sheet explaining the extent of editing by someone else.
- Law school transcript.
- List of three references.
- Applications from candidates graduating from law school in 2020 will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.