The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Agrosphere (IBG-3) conducts research to improve our understanding of biogeochemical and hydrological processes in terrestrial systems. Specific studies focus on environmental controls on biogeochemical cycling of elements, the analysis of exchange processes and nutrient dynamics in the soil-plant-atmosphere continuum. A combination of experiments, modelling and innovative observation technologies is used to bridge the gap between model, process and management scale. Its research contributes to the sustainable and resource-conserving use of soils and water and to the quantification of the effect of climate and land use change on terrestrial ecosystems.
We are offering a
PhD position – Applied hydrometeorologic sciences
The work will be part of the Cluster of Excellence “PhenoRob -Robotics and Phenotyping for Sustainable Crop Production” in cooperation with the University of Bonn. The goal of the project is to develop and apply hydrometeorologic models of agricultural systems at multiple space and time scales and merge these models with observations from in-situ sensors and airborne measurements near real-time. Ultimately the developed modeling system will provide digital images of the current state of agricultural systems which are used to perform short- and long-term predictions and plan in-field interventions. The project will be performed in collaboration with the Centre of High-Performance Computing in Terrestrial System, Geoverbund ABC/J.
Your tasks in detail:
- Apply large-eddy hydrometeorologic models
- Implement real-time simulation and data assimilation workflows
- Analyze simulations results
- Present and publish results at international conference and peer reviewer journals
- University degree (Master) in hydrometeorology computer science, physics, civil engineering or applied mathematics
- Experience in atmospheric, hydrologic and/or hydrogeologic modelling, and data analysis
- Knowledge of data assimilation methods is an advantage
- Programming skills with Python, Fortran, C/C++
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in an international, interdisciplinary team across institutes
- very good communication and organizational skills
- Very good command of the English language
- Competent and interdisciplinary working environment, as well as an excellent framework in the areas of experiments and modelling.
- Vibrant international work environment on an attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- Attendance at national and international conferences and workshops
- Possibility for further scientific and technical training through international experts
- Outstanding scientific and technical infrastructure – ideal conditions for successfully completing a doctoral degree
- A highly motivated group as well as an international and interdisciplinary working environment at one of Europe`s largest research establishments
- Continuous scientific mentoring by your scientific advisor
- Pay in line with 70 % of pay group 13 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Service (TVöD-Bund). Pay higher than the basic pay may be possible
- Information on employment as a PhD student at Forschungszentrum Jülich can be found here http://www.fz-juelich.de/gp/Careers_Docs
Forschungszentrum Jülich promotes equal opportunities and diversity in its employment relations.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.