Field of activity
The inadequate availability of infrastructure and the lack of transport security for waterways on the Congo and its tributaries are key obstacles to economic development in the Congo basin. Improving this situation calls for joint decisions on the use of water resources, coordinated planning and implementing measures involving civil society and the private sector in the neighboring countries. The task of the Commission Internationale du Bassin Congo-Oubangui-Sangha-Congo- Commission (CICOS) is to support coordination and decisions on transboundary water management. This happens by coordinating the neighboring states with regard to visible results. In the previous project phase, the project supported CICOS in the development of its strategies for river shipping and water resource management.
As an Advisor you are responsible for the professional advice of CICOS in the regulation of river shipping as well as the cross-border water resource management. In doing so, you are specifically responsible for these tasks:
- Provide strategic advice to CICOS on Integrated Water Resource Management
- Provide technical advice on the implementation of measures for the strategic action plan with a focus on water infrastructure, water and climate change, water use and environmental impacts
- Support the national and regional reconciliation platforms of CICOS in the management of measures in water resource
- Advice on process development and support the national and regional dialogue processes in the context of strategic action plans for further stakeholder platforms, and notification processes for the construction of water infrastructure
- Monitor pilot projects resulting from the Water Resources Management Action Plan and their implementation in the CICOS member states
- Takeover relevant cross-sectional tasks, e.g. network formation, gender analysis, preparation for knowledge management and publications
- University degree in Geography, Water Resource Management or a relevant discipline
- Several years of work experience in cross-border water resource management, and the development of legal, political and institutional framework conditions in the water sector
- Proven work experience in Africa
- Sound knowledge of coordinating and supporting participatory stakeholder dialogues
- Excellent advisory and strategic competences
- High social and communicative competences
- Fluent in French, very good knowledge of German and English
As soon as possible – 30.06.2019
Conditions regarding location
The security situation in Kinshasa is currently stable. The climate in Kinshasa is tropical. The city has an international airport with regular flights to Europe. International schools are available.
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
Occasional business trips to the main cities of the member states of CICOS (with the exception of the Central African Republic) are expected.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement.
To enable us to assess your existing skills and qualifications as part of our internal selection procedure, please complete the questionnaire on your competencies when you apply online.
After submitting an application, please check your spam/junk folder regularly for incoming messages, as emails from our e-recruiting system are treated as spam by some providers.
GIZ would like to improve the share of disabled employees, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 18.12.2016.
++49 – (0)6196 – 79 – 2164