Water security (management and governance of water) is a growing concern in Pakistan. The country currently ranks 7th on the climate risk Index and climate change poses additional threat to water security. Wide-scale degradation of the natural resource base including heavy deforestation is also impacting the health of its water systems. The goal of this DFID funded programme is to improve governance of water at national/provincial levels and ensure the ability to adapt to a changing climate, while ensuring environmental sustainability. This will be achieved through:
· Building Government water data management and capacity through technical assistance (TA);
· Support to Government in regulatory frameworks for protecting water resources and environment;
· Improved awareness and accountability for sustainable use of water through civil society engagement;
· Robust Research and innovations – specifically those targeting improved resilience.
The project will cover the most at risk provinces in Pakistan and focus on capacity building in:
· Water data management
· Regulatory frameworks
· Awareness, accountability and transparency
· Research and innovation into resilience.
The Team Leader will be responsible for:
The Team Leader will need to demonstrate experience and knowledge of:
· Extensive professional experience in water governance and international development projects, at least two countries and minimum 5 years as a Team Leader.
· DFID projects
· Significant experience of water governance policy and guidelines operating between irrigation and agriculture, but not specifically irrigation engineering infrastructure.
· Water accounting and data
· Institutional reform and capacity building
· Pakistan experience, ideally in engaging with federal and provincial level governments (Punjab, Sindh, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa) on water policy.
· Knowledge of nature-based solutions or eco-system-based adaptation to address environmental sustainability could be especially useful.
· The Team Leader must have a Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline in water/environment/development. A Master degree or PhD would be an advantage.
Lead on policy for water data management; Regulatory frameworks; Awareness, accountability and transparency; Research and innovation into resilience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.