WASH and Shelter Coordinator
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2015 with plans to implement a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes. DRC currently has offices in Abuja (Country Office HQ), Adamawa state (Yola, Mubi and Michika), Borno State (Maiduguri and other deep field locations) and Yobe state (Damaturu). Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified WASH and Shelter Coordinator in DRC Nigeria Programme
About the job
The WASH & Shelter Coordinator will be responsible for coordination of WASH and Shelter activities in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states, Nigeria with a primary focus on providing emergency lifesaving access to water, sanitation, hygiene and shelter/NFIs for conflict-affected IDPs/returnees and host communities in North East Nigeria.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes for the achievement of the WASH and shelter output results and ensure effective collaboration with other WASH and Shelter actors.
- With other external support agencies, analyze north east Nigeria WASH and shelter sector challenges, trends, programmes and projects, with a focus on WASH and shelter outcomes, using frameworks, analysis and tools available in the sector.
- Produce materials for WASH and shelter programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships and support fund-raising.
- Interact with global and regional initiatives and partnerships for WASH.
- Monitor, report and certify the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocations, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report issues to the DRC’s senior management for timely resolution.
- Manage the implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems), ensuring rigorous monitoring and wide sharing of results.
- Prepare learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Initiate and contribute to the systematic assessment of WASH sector capacity gap analysis, in collaboration with government and other stakeholders, and support the design of initiatives to strengthen capacities systematically.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
To be successful in this role we expect you to thorough knowledge of WASH and Shelter/NFIs operations and implementation Moreover, we also expect the following:
- At least 5 years’ experience in planning, implementing and evaluating WASH and Shelter/NFI projects.
- Thorough knowledge of WASH and Shelter/NFIs operations and implementation.
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- Highly self-driven while striving for perfection under minimum supervision.
- Hands on experience in Project Planning and Management.
- Experience working in emergency response with INGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Bachelor Degree in Civil/Water Engineering, Architecture or Construction.
- Master’s degree in above fields will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 12 Months with Possible extension
Band: NM F1
Designation of Duty Station: Maiduguri - Non-family
Start date: 01-04-2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 31-03-2020
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.