Direct supervision is received from the Senior Programme Officer and overall direction from the Head of Sub-Office. Close functional linkages and technical guidance will be established with the appropriate technical personnel at BO, Regional and HQ level.
The incumbent supports UNHCR efforts in Dollo Ado camps and ensures that international water, sanitation and hygiene promotion standards are met to minimize avoidable mortality and morbidity among refugees and other populations of concern. The incumbent plays a key role in coordination and monitoring of Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) in the emergency as well as ongoing programme in the Dollo Ado operation. The incumbent will be required to supervise few local staff, work in collaboration with health and nutrition staff and implementing partners at field level.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
– UNHCR¿s country operation has sufficient technical support in the field of water & sanitation thus better able to meet the needs of persons of concern.
– Regular, up to date assessments of beneficiary needs related to water and sanitation services are undertaken and formulate project submissions are formulated to respond to these needs in collaboration with appropriate authorities, implementing partners and UNHCR program and technical sectors at all levels.
– Mechanisms to promote and monitor the performance of UNHCR’s partners on water, sanitation and hygiene promotion activities in the refugee camps/ host community are in place and there is a coordinated delivery of WASH services to beneficiaries that meet UNHCR standards of assistance.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
A. Strategy and Policy:
– Support the implementation of UNHCR¿s Strategic Plan.
– Help and support the development of new policies and strategies for UNHCR in key aspects of WASH.
– Provide support on the development, review, update and dissemination of internationally accepted standards, policies, and guidelines within UNHCR and among partners; adapt accordingly to the unique situation of UNHCR¿s people of concern.
– Advocate on all issues relating to WASH and refugees/IDPs and other persons of concern to UNHCR both within and outside of UNHCR.
– Work with others in UNHCR to advocate for access to refugees, IDPs, returnees and other persons of concern to UNHCR to WASH services including support for inclusion of persons of concern in national and regional plans and proposals.
C. Technical Assistance:
– Consolidate and provide technical guidance and support to IPs on all water, sanitation and hygiene promotion related issues, to ensure quality, cost-effectiveness, sustainability and environmental soundness in their implantation and in accordance with UNHCR policies and priorities.
– Act as a focal point on water, sanitation and hygiene promotion issues within UNHCR and liaise with UN related agencies and governmental and nongovernmental counterparts.
– Review performance, monitor development and evaluate approaches adopted by partners in water, sanitation and hygiene promotion and related sectors i.e. natural resources management, environment assessment, technical capacity of implementing partners etc. and formulate appropriate designs and corrective measures as deemed necessary.
– Review on a regular basis the quantity and quality of water and sanitation services offered in the camps and host community and ensures the maintenance of records of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion performance indicators for all locations.
– Put measures in place to ensure that regular and accurate reports that analyse the challenges encountered in providing water, sanitation and hygiene promotion services for beneficiaries are prepared and circulated and that periodic reports required by UNHCR at all levels are submitted in a timely manner.
– Make provisions for the installation of WASH services in any new camp or camp extension identified for the settlement of refugees.
– Supervise and monitor the implementation of water and sanitation projects administered by UNHCR, directly by the office or indirectly through NGOs partners and facilitate the implementation of appropriate strategies.
– Produce documents on the plans/proposals of the different camps in Dollo Ado.
– Initiate the implementation process as advised by the office.
– Prepare monthly reporting on progress of the project implementation as well as producing the monthly WASH Monitoring System and field visit report.
D. Capacity Building:
– Facilitate capacity strengthening activities of UNHCR and its implementing/operational partners to address key areas of WASH importance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
– Build the capacity and competence of UNHCR¿s Public Health and WASH staffs.
– Ensure WASH is adequately addressed in in-house capacity building activities of the agency such as emergency and operations training.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
– Enforce UNHCR¿s strategies and guidelines in the field of water & sanitation.
– Represent UNHCR in relevant international meetings and conferences when requested.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
– University degree in water and sanitation engineering / water resources development and/or postgraduate degree in one of the civil engineering disciplines (water supply and/or hydrology) or sanitation/hygiene engineering.
– At least 5 years of progressively responsible functions in water/sanitary engineering or a related field in developing countries dealing with large scale WASH activities. At least 3 years of this experience should be in a capacity directly relevant to the current position in an international humanitarian organisation dealing with large scale emergencies or displaced/refugee situations.
– Ability to coordinate a range of diverse actors and activities to achieve a common objective in the area of WASH is essential.
– Demonstrated experience in organising and conducting training activities and information campaigns in the areas of environmental sanitation, natural resources management, water quality, bore-hole drilling, vector control and appropriate technologies are important elements for this post.
– Proven technical expertise in area of WASH assessment including surveys, programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and coordination is required.
– Exposure to UNHCR mandate, its priorities and principles.
– Knowledge and experience of working with local partner agencies with a capacity to provide formal and informal training.
– Excellent knowledge of English (written / oral / comprehension) is essential.
– Working knowledge of another UN language (preferably French).
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES:
– Experience and professional training in one of irrigation, site planning, or shelter with a good understanding of the main issues in the other two sectors. To this end, an advanced degree and additional training in one or more of the above sectors would be useful.
– Applied knowledge in UNHCR programme management, project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards.
– Previous exposure to cluster approach, preferably both at the global policy level and at field level.
– Expertise in planning, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting on humanitarian operations.