Background / General description:
|The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries. It is committed to financing private sector businesses in emerging markets, mobilizing capital in the international financial markets, helping clients improve social and environmental sustainability and providing advisory services to businesses and governments.|
The Cross-Cutting Advisory Solutions (CAS) Department is managing and delivering expertise and programs which are cross-cutting in nature and have application across the Corporation. These include public-private partnership transactions, clean energy, resources efficiency, water, green buildings, SME development, corporate finance, gender and multidisciplinary business solutions. The Department also provides administrative and financial management support to all advisory units in IFC and in the joint World Bank Group Global Practices.
IFC’s Cross-Industry Advisory Solutions Division is managing and delivering expertise and programs related to clean energy and resources efficiency, water resources, green buildings, SME & value chains, gender and strategic client solutions. The Division has approximately 100 staff, and is managing over 250 active client engagements.
The Division is now seeking a Manager for its Energy and Water Advisory Unit, including Energy and Resource Efficiency and the development of a new line of advisory solutions for water. The Unit has around 60 staff across the globe, and will work with firms to develop competitive, replicable clean energy business models and water solutions. Clean Energy & Water will focus on creating markets by removing barriers to investments in renewable energy and water demonstrating how such investments can be profitable and sustainable. In addition, the team will provide technical staff and input into programs led by IFC’s Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Transaction Advisory, IFC Industry departments, and the World Bank.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 4 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
|IFC Advisory Services is seeking to recruit a Manager to lead the Energy & Water Advisory Unit within the Cross-Industry Advisory Solutions. The practice aims to create markets, unlock investment opportunities and improve productivity and efficiency of our clients’ operations, increase their energy security, reduce climate risk, and facilitate financing into the energy, water and building sectors.|
The Manager will be responsible for the strategic direction and service innovation of the practice, in alignment with overall IFC and advisory strategy, building partnerships with clients and other stakeholders to replicate and scale services with focus on development impact and high quality of service delivery. Specific responsibilities include:
Strategy and business management:
• In the context of IFC’s global strategic priorities, develop the global strategy for the Unit, in partnership with regional departments, and in close collaboration with relevant IFC industry departments, and relevant WBG departments.
• Lead the development and provision of innovative approaches that serves IFC’s strategic priorities and financial sustainability goals.
• Create a new line of Advisory Solutions in the water sector in concordance with industries and regions.
• Set global business objectives and work program for the practice based on targeted development results, including up front targeting and planning of fundraising best suited to the desired strategy.
• Manage the origination, development and maintenance of a portfolio of Energy & Water advisory projects across the globe, balancing priority sectors, geographical distribution and country mix in-line with agreed strategy.
• Ensure quality of advisory engagements, including implementation of quality control processes/inputs, and monitor progress and recommend corrective actions where/if necessary.
• Represent the Cross-Cutting Advisory Solutions department on Energy, and Water related corporate strategic issues to ensure that operational policies, practices and procedures align with quality service delivery to clients.
• Lead on high-priority special initiatives/projects as designated by the Global Head of Cross-Industry Advisory Solutions.
• Review, approve and support implementation of global and regional Energy & Water Advisory projects, working with relevant regions and industries as appropriate.
• Monitor and manage risks associated with Energy & Water project design and implementation, and where needed, ensures effective mitigation of strategic, operational and/or reputational risks to IFC.
• Ensure compliance with broader AS governance and risk management policies and procedures such as conflicts of interest, pricing, etc.
• Model exemplary WBG leadership values and managerial behaviors and reinforce these qualities in the Energy & Water team.
• Lead the learning and evaluation agenda to foster operational and technical excellence and accelerate operational learning within the Energy & Water team, in accordance with IFC’s strategic and operational priorities.
• Manage the Energy & Water Advisory Unit’s budget (internal and external funds) to support the implementation of relevant IFC strategies.
• As a member of the Cross-Industry Advisory Solutions Leadership Team, contribute to the coherent and effective functioning of the business, and ensure cross business area coordination and cross leveraging of expertise across business areas.
|• Committed to WBG leadership values and managerial behaviors (*)|
• A background in business, finance, engineering, consulting or equivalent with a minimum of 15 years relevant experience. A background which combines one or more of these areas of experience will be preferred.
• Sector experience in the energy and/or water sector
• Ability to think strategically and implement innovative solutions aligned with the strategy
• Recognized as a team player and leader; with proven track record of success in leading complex and geographically dispersed teams
• Significant leadership skills and proven success in developing client relationships with private sector in developing countries and execution of programs in relevant industries, preferable in IDA countries and fragile and conflict-affected situations.
• Well networked within the professional community in relevant industries.
• Proven success working across internal and institutional boundaries.
• Ability to represent IFC to key external clients, government authorities, and other stakeholders.
(*) WBG LEADERSHIP VALUES AND MANAGERIAL BEHAVIORS:
WBG Managerial Competencies: Courage of your convictions; Leading Teams for impact; Influencing across boundaries; Fostering openness to new ideas; and Building talent for the future.
WBG Core Competencies for all staff: Client orientation; Drive for results; Teamwork of collaboration and inclusion; Knowledge, learning and communication; and Business judgment and analytical decision-making.