World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address six critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water and sustainable cities.
Internships at WRI provide opportunities for motivated, young professionals to learn from our experts and participate in engaging work at the intersection of environment and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs and offices. We seek interns with diverse backgrounds and who are passionate about the environment to help us make a direct global impact.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
WRI-U.S. works to advance practical solutions to reduce and remove greenhouse gas emissions, deploy clean energy solutions, improve resilience to climate impacts, and achieve a strong, clean economy that benefits all Americans. We do so through rigorous peer-reviewed expert analysis, consultation, convening, coalition building, and clear communications. We work at all levels of government and with leading businesses across the United States. Our experience, reputation and connections in the policy arena, the private sector and beyond place us in a unique position to help shape federal and state climate, energy, transportation, and land sector policy and generate new ideas and practices for low-carbon development over the coming years.
In this role, you will contribute to the research, analytical, and administrative activities of WRI U.S., in support of our efforts to lay the groundwork for advancing federal action on low-carbon, equitable and resilient policies. You will help with this work by contributing research and analytical support across a wide array of projects, while also supporting the day-to-day operations of our team. As a member of the U.S. team working on a number of cross-cutting issues, you will have the opportunity to interact with experts from across WRI programs and sectors.
Learning Outcomes & Responsibilities
The intern will gain experience in the following areas:
Research & Knowledge (60% of time required)
- Provide background research summaries to inform the development of various WRI knowledge products, such as working papers, issue briefs, and reports.
- Help draft blogs and other materials to communicate research findings to a wider audience.
- Leverage growing expertise in energy and climate datasets to assist colleagues in related tasks on other workstreams as needed.
Administrative & Grants Management (40% of time required)
- Provide administrative and logistical support for WRI-US and its numerous project teams by coordinating event logistics, scheduling meetings and maintaining calendars for senior staff, providing technical support for meetings, and providing other tasks as needed.
- Support the WRI-US Project Coordinator with grants management, financial & expense management, and development tasks.
- Assist in liaising with external partners and WRI colleagues across programs and countries.
- Pursuing or completed bachelor’s degree in environmental policy, environmental science, economics, political science, public policy or related field, or a relevant law degree.
- Demonstrated understanding of U.S. climate policy landscape.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Ability to work well in a team, manage multiple priorities, and work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent data collection and management skills.
- Strong oral communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office suite and other relevant applications.
General Internship Requirements
- Applicants must have personal health insurance coverage.
- US work authorization is required for this opportunity. WRI does not sponsor interns for visas.
This is a paid internship.
This is a six-month internship with flexible March start and end dates based on the candidate’s availability.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.