The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to this website for more information:
BISA is implementing a collaborative fisheries project in Odisha with WorldFish, Malaysia and funded by the Fisheries and Animal Resources Development Department (FARD), Government of Odisha. WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research organization with headquarters in Penang, Malaysia, and offices in Asia, Africa, and the Pacific. WorldFish’s mission is to harness the potential of fisheries and aquaculture to reduce poverty and hunger in developing countries. Please refer to this website for more information: www.worldfishcenter.org.
The position will be based at Odisha.
- Assist the WorldFish International GIS expert to establish GIS and Spatial planning cell in the Directorate of Fisheries, Cuttack.
- In consultation with the Joint Director of Fisheries (Inland) cum Nodal officer, Project Manager and the WorldFish International GIS Expert, prepare the modalities, timelines and guidelines for operationalizing the cell.
- Liaise with ORSAC and other relevant state government departments in Odisha and ICAR Fisheries Research Institutions to improve the efficiency of the operation with improved coordination.
- Manage the GIS cell on day-to-day basis and guide the DoF deputed staff on GIS applications.
- Source, develop and manage GIS/RS datasets relevant to the project interests.
- Conduct regular trainings, seminars and workshop for DoF staff on GIS applications.
- Lead the GIS mapping exercise for inland fisheries water bodies of the state.
- Assist in operationalizing PMU (Project Management Unit) with GIS based MIS (Management Information System) of the Directorate of Fisheries, Cuttack.
- Support the Project Manager in preparing the maps and figures for disseminating project progress/outcome when required.
- Perform any other project duties as and when necessary, as per the guidance of the Project Manager.
We are seeking candidates with the following academic qualifications, experience, skills and attitudes:
- Master of Engineering / Master degree in Fisheries Sciences / Zoology / Life sciences with specialization in GIS and spatial planning is preferred,
- 3 years work experience in managing GIS and spatial planning projects, especially in Fisheries Sector.
- Experience conducting GIS and spatial planning projects in an interdisciplinary team
- Knowledge in Odisha aquaculture and fisheries, and water resources system.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in working with staff at all levels, including field staff; works well in teams; able to motivate others
- Strong motivation for high quality science and delivery of applications / impacts of research.
- Strong publication record in GIS or related field.
Excellent proficiency in both spoken and written English
Working knowledge in Odia and/or Hindi is an advantage.
The position is for an initial fixed- term contract of 1 year, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Monday16 March 2020 to Human Resources, CIMMYT/ BISA.
(Email: [email protected] Please insert Position Reference number: IN 20117 in the subject of your email)
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Women are encouraged to apply.
BISA is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.