UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a better future
UNICEF works to ensure the rights of all children in the East Asia and Pacific Region. This means the rights of every child living in this country, irrespective of their nationality, gender, religion or ethnicity, to:
- survival – to basic healthcare, peace and security;
- development – to a good education, a loving home and adequate nutrition;
- protection – from abuse, neglect, trafficking, child labour and other forms of exploitation; and
- participation – to express opinions, be listened to and take part in making any decisions that affect them
How can you make a difference?
WASH, UNICEF East Asia and Pacific Regional Office (EAPRO) is seeking an individual consultant to provide technical support on WASH data cutting edge evidence information management
Purpose of Assignment:
To provide support to the regional office and selected countries on (1) gathering data and reliable information to support various proposal developments, (2) gathering cutting edge information in water and sanitation in thematic areas of the shift and their linkages to other sectors (nutrition, health, WASH in school, education and other sectors) in order to regularly inform country offices on new available information in the WASH sector (3) work on the countries SMQs and ensure accuracy of the data and develop with country offices plans to address data gap in the sector (4) support joint monitoring data collection process and encourage as many countries as possible to take into account WASH indicators in any ongoing national surveys.
Work Assignment and Expected deliverable:
1. Gathering data and reliable information to support country surveys and studies and evaluations
- Support country WASH data collection and information gathering through different surveys and data analysis
- Support ongoing country surveys, and ensure that indicators related to JMP data collection are included
- Support country data collection and data analysis including real time monitoring and the use of digitalized information systems
- Review and provide comments on country WASH studies and evaluation inception report and final reports
- Develop regional monitoring proposal and other proposals
- Review proposals for consistencies before submission to partners and review committees.
- 3-4 countries surveys and secondary analysis data review which in line with JMP indicators
- 3 countries real time monitoring system reviewed, and recommendations provided to country offices
- All studies and WASH evaluation reports reviewed for improvements
- Proposals development and reviews
- WASH documents reviews
- 28 February 2021 with Monthly progress report
- Gathering cutting edge information in Water and sanitation and its linkages to other sectors (nutrition, health, WASH in school, education and other sectors) to regularly inform country offices on new available information in the WASH sector
- Search and collect WASH sector updates and knowledge globally and put it in the ready to use format for the country offices and share it along with monthly newsletter
- Create a data base on data and WASH cases studies experiences, TORS on the key areas of work and make them available to Country offices
- Work with HR to make available rooster of the WASH consultant and skills available for the sector in different areas
- Monthly report on cutting edge information on WASH linkage with other sectors
- Data base for TORs in various areas of work, TORs and case studies in different areas of works
- End March 2020
- Monthly progress report
3. Work on countries SMQs and ensure accuracy of the data and develop with country offices plans to address data gap in the sector
- Collect the SMQ recommendations and define gaps in programming that need to be addressed by COs.
- Develop with the COs key actions to address the data gap in the WASH programming.
- Develop monitoring sheet using traffic lights for progress against all the recommendations and their progress in 3 months
- SMQ dashboard
- Sanitation and Water dashboard
- WASH data dashboard- APP-
- End November 2020
- Monthly progress report
- Support joint monitoring data collection process and encourage countries to consider WASH indicators in any ongoing national survey
- Support JMP analysis in various countries on need basis
- Follow up on JMP request for WASH in School and health facilities data and provide comments and orientation
- Liaise with JMP team in support to country data analysis.
- Country reports
- Country analysis on JMP indicators
- 30 December 2020
- Monthly progress report
- Support Myanmar WASH programme in case studies development and report writing
- Develop 3-4 case studies on pipe water metering system and sanitation programming and WASH in school in ASWAII programme areas
- Review the disability analysis and gender analysis in ASWAII programme areas and develop a WASH climate and disability related proposal
- 3 cases studies using global agreed format
- Disability data analysis in the programme areas
- Concept note on WASH, disability and climate related programme
- June 2020 for case studies
- August 2020 for proposal development
Estimated Duration of Contract: 11.5 months; starting 30.03.2020
Official Travel: The consultant may be required to travel to perform the assigned tasks, but the exact travel requirements will be determined during the assignment
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree (Masters or higher) in areas related to water and sanitation, environmental science, environmental policy, environmental economics, environmental health, social sciences and public policy.
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible professional experience related to water and sanitation and social science
- Strong technical, analytical, data management, and multi-disciplinary skills related
- Fluency in English; knowledge of a language in the East Asia Pacific region is an asset.
Interested candidates are requested to submit CV or P-11, full contact information of minimum 2 references, availability, proposed monthly professional fee and all-inclusive travel cost and other incidentals to/from Bangkok in USD by 15 March 2020. Please note that air tickets under UNICEF shall be re-routable, refundable type (economy class and most direct route). The consultant will be responsible for own travel insurance, visa fee and terminal expenses.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are…
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Consultants and Individual contractors are responsible for paying any taxes derived from the earnings received from UNICEF.
Opening Date Mon Mar 02 2020 03:00:00 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time) SE Asia Standard Time
Closing Date Sun Mar 15 2020 17:55:00 GMT+0100 (Central European Standard Time)