Director, Institutional Relations
GSWA is a member supported non-profit environmental organization founded in 1981. GSWA is dedicated to protecting and improving the water resources of the Passaic River region, from the Great Swamp headwaters to Newark Bay, for present and future generations. Through education, advocacy, science, land preservation, and stewardship, in collaboration with partners, we work to instill our communities with an awareness of water’s effect on health and the beauty of the environment, from source to sea.
We seek a resourceful and creative individual to play an integral part in our organization as we work to protect and preserve the waters and land of the region. The organization is currently in a growth phase with an annual budget of approximately $1,000,000. This individual will assume lead responsibility for foundation and corporate relations, including creating, developing and writing proposals. The individual will be a key member of the development team, and will work closely with the Development Director, the Executive Director and the program staff.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop and maintain sustaining corporate and foundation relationships.
· Responsible for meeting foundation and corporate fundraising goals.
· Work with Executive Director, Development Director and program staff to create proposals that are lively, exciting, very well-written and highly fundable.
· Conduct research on foundation and corporate prospects with a goal of expanding our base of funders.
· Find ways to increase corporate engagement with GSWA and its goals.
ADDITIONAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Participate in Development Department planning and objectives.
· Be an active member of the Development Committee.
· Participate in the annual fall fundraising Gala and spring music festival fundraiser, both as lead corporate solicitor and as needed on other aspects of the event. Develop new and creative ideas to keep events fresh and engaging.
· Participate, design and execute initiatives and programs including site visits, donor research and relations.
· Work closely with Development Director to sustain and increase general membership.
· Lead anticipated capital campaign for 40th anniversary.
· Demonstrable writing skills of the highest order. We will ask for writing samples and will ask applicants to complete a short writing assignment.
· An ability to work on writing projects collaboratively, favoring a desire for the best possible product.
· Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, written and oral, and an ability to work professionally and cooperatively with a wide range of individuals including board members, advisory council members, and volunteers.
· Commitment to the environment, familiarity with environmental issues, and/or familiarity and affection for the Great Swamp Watershed Association or the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge.
· Strong computer skills: including MS Office, especially Microsoft Word and Excel; ability to manage simple spreadsheets and familiarity with CRM systems.
· Excellent presentation skills and an ability to articulate the mission.
· Flexibility in schedule; attend night programs and occasional weekend events.
· At least 3-5 years of non-profit fundraising and grant writing experience.
· A college degree.
· Familiarity with capital campaigns.
· Experience with fundraising database software (e.g. Donor Perfect or Raiser’s Edge)
· Morristown/New Vernon area
· Flexible work hours possible, given some weekend and evening responsibilities. Ideal basic schedule is 6-8 hours/day, 5 days/week.
· Occasional walk/hike in Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge or GSWA owned land for special events.
· Some corporate/foundation visits.
· GSWA does not currently offer health insurance benefits. There is a generous organizational 401k match.
Explore our website at www.greatswamp.org to see if what we do matches your personal and professional goals. We offer competitive non-profit salaries commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Email resume (as word.docx attachments) with a cover letter telling us why you qualify for this position, along with a writing sample to: [email protected].
The Great Swamp Watershed Association is an equal opportunity employer.