Fresh Life Initiative (FLI) is an award-winning social venture that makes hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban slums for everyone, forever. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, training, marketing, and business analytics. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community. Working with our sanitation partners we convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the by-products to Kenyan farms. Since November 2011, we have launched over 3000 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of 2500 micro-entrepreneurs and we collect and convert over 9000 tons of waste annually.
The company seeks to recruit a QHSE Intern who will support the coordination of quality, health, safety, and environmental activities in the organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the implementation and assessment of Sanitation Safety Planning(SSP)
- Development and implementation of an ergonomic OSH policy for labor-intensive roles
- Assist in the development of robust, functioning and measurable training setup tackling staff development on QHSE competencies
- Improved health, safety, and environment internal compliance based on metrics Improved workplace HSE compliance of all FLI satellite sites
- Increased organizational awareness and appreciation of QHSE services
- Develop a quicker and more accurate method of conducting QA checks on ready concrete parts
- Assist in developing waste management strategies especially for the handling of concrete and tile (construction) waste
Skills, Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, biological sciences, or ESH related fields
- 0 – 1 years of experience in quality, health, safety, and environment-related work
- Proficiency in MS packages (word, excel, PowerPoint)
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.