South Dakota State University Department of Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering is offering an exciting career opportunity as a Water Resources Research and Outreach Assistant. We are looking for a creative and innovative professional to join us in Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering. This is a 12 month, full-time, benefit-eligible position. This position is supervised by the Water Management Engineer Extension State Specialist.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate activities that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
• Provide support for the research and outreach activities of the state Water Management Engineer.
• Collaborate with research and extension faculty, technical staff and collaborating producers, field specialists, agency personnel and industry stakeholders for field sampling and applied research related to water management and water quality.
• Coordinate sampling of subsurface drainage (tile) in Eastern South Dakota.
• Develop extension products including training materials, online extension articles, and other outreach programming.
• Research project protocol and experimental procedures.
• Project implementation.
• Ensure research data is accurate, reliable and uninterrupted.
• Ensure graduate and undergraduate students are well trained in research protocol and safety.
• Equipment maintenance.
• This position requires some office work, laboratory work, and field work.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, Civil Engineering, Agricultural Science or a closely related field completed by first day of employment;
• Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences and multiple constituents;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Demonstrated organizational and time management skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Demonstrated ability to develop standard operating procedures, databases, and operation manuals for research equipment;
• Willing to work in an outdoor environment;
• Demonstrated ability to use advance reasoning skills to solve complex data collection challenges with limited information;
• Ability to work as a contributing team member;
• Valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire, and willingness to travel.
• Master’s degree in Agricultural Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, Civil Engineering, Agricultural Science or related major;
• Previous field experience;
• Demonstrated experience with laboratory protocols;
• Demonstrated experience in equipment maintenance;
• Demonstrated collaboration in developing funding proposals to support new and/or enhanced programming;
• Experience in publishing outreach materials, extension materials and peer reviewed publications;
• Demonstrated use of technology in managing and/or delivering outreach programs;
• Demonstrated knowledge of environmental and water resources;
• Demonstrated ability or potential to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate outreach and direct effective programs.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, resume, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.