Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
Dewberry is currently seeking a Resilience Planner for our Fairfax, VA office. This position will support the Resilience Solutions Group (RSG) with a variety of tasks related to resilience planning:, community outreach and engagement, research, policy analysis, planning, report development, presentations and/or decision support applications. Related areas of technical focus for this position include but are not limited to: climate change adaptation, sea level rise, extreme heat, forecasting, hazard mitigation planning, demographic and economic analysis, research and planning primarily related to Federal agencies (FEMA/FIMA, USGS, NOAA, EPA and US F&WS), Cooperating Technical Partners, state agencies, and local communities.
- Prepares studies, reports and other technical documentation and guidance documents.
- Develops and conducts outreach for community resilience projects.
- Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of technical principles related to resilience to projects.
- Represents Dewberry in meetings with clients to resolve complex issues and to plan and coordinate work.
- Represents Dewberry at professional conferences, and meetings, presenting results of work within Dewberry, when appropriate.
- Assists Project Managers with the development of technical and business proposals for new projects;
- Works on other related projects within RSG in order to acquire supplementary technical and programmatic knowledge/skills.
Required Skills & Required Experience
Ability to effectively communicate orally and in written formats technical information related to natural hazards and resilience in projects, presentations and papers, as well as facilitate community meetings with diverse stakeholders.
- Assisting in the research, planning and development of operational and tactical plans policies, procedures, and guidance to promote resilience to and mitigation of the full range of natural disasters.
- 3-5 years' of experience.
- Bachelor’s in Planning, Environmental Science, Policy, or other related field.
- Certified Floodplain Manager, APA, LEED Green Associate a plus
- Ability to work independently; well-developed time management skills, especially the ability to complete high-quality, detail-oriented deliverables on tight timelines amid competing deadlines within a diverse work group.
- Ability to perform an expanded array of tasks assigned by higher level staff, designed to broaden experience and familiarization with methods, practices, and programs applicable to the department.
- Some experience with client interactions, task management, and business development. No project management or staff management experience required.
- Ability to exercise initiative, resourcefulness, and tact in obtaining and analyzing information related to resilience planning.
- Ability to get along with coworkers and superiors.
- Ability to be self-motivated and function in a team environment.
- Knowledge and ability to use the following computer applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and databases.
- Responsibilities may occasionally require an adjusted work schedule, overtime, and evening/weekend hours in order to meet deadlines.
- Occasionally, will be required to lift/carry up to 25 lbs.
- Telephones, faxes, copiers, printers and computers are all used frequently to perform tasks.
- Work is typically performed within the office although field/site visits are occasionally required.
- Works under direct supervision of higher level staff. Work is often reviewed for accuracy by senior level staff.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor new applicants for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
*Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry’s background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.