An accomplished servant leader with an understanding of Texas Water Districts*. This Individual will serve as the leader and Executive Director (ED) of the organization at the direction of the Board of Trustees (BOT) and according to the association’s mission and vision. This leader will continue to build on an already excellent base to strengthen the organization for future growth while adapting to changes in regulatory requirements, legislative agendas, public opinion, and members’ needs and expectations. The ED will report to the BOT and is responsible for the administration, operations, and events for the organization. BOT will provide broad direction to the ED in terms of policy and objectives. The ED will have the day to day discretion and responsibility for implementation of the BOT’s focus. In addition, the ED will also have significant support from an existing team, the BOT, and the Advisory Council.
The expectations of the Executive Director include, but are not limited to:
- Providing leadership that sustains improvement of AWBD operations and services to its members;
- Working with the BOT to maintain a proactive, long-term vision for the organization;
- Developing and implementing strategies that grow the value for its membership, grow the service area throughout the State of Texas;
- Expanding the profile, name recognition, and positive connotation associated with AWBD and water districts;
- Implementing existing core programs and services, particularly including two major conferences, membership wide breakfasts and dinners, leadership retreats, and educational and informative newsletters and website content.
- Implementing new ideas, programs, and/or procedures consistent with the BOT’s vision;
- Establishing strong working relationships with the BOT, staff, and industry partners;
- Serve as a primary external representative of and advocate for AWBD with all stakeholders including the press;
- Articulating the benefits derived from AWBD membership and the successes achieved;
- Work with the Treasurer to prepare an annual budget and monthly reports to the BOT; assure all expenditures are within approved budget; assure all financial reports are submitted as required; and authorize expenditures consistent with the budget.
- General awareness of public policy (appropriate for the layperson) as they apply to Water Districts within the State of Texas and how these laws and regulations impact the organization’s members, and Water Districts residents
The Desired Candidate may have these additional skills, traits, knowledge and experience levels:
Experience managing a membership organization, demonstrating skill related to maintaining and facilitating strategic and targeted membership growth along with appropriate business acumen managing administrative aspects including but not limited to setting and managing budgets.
Experience working with and interacting with an existing Board of Trustees, ensuring that organization, staff, executive director, and Board of Trustee strategic and tactical goals are aligned.
Proven managerial capabilities working with an existing team including previous experience goal setting, establishing and managing key performance indicators, delivering reviews, creating and maintaining compensation, and motivating the team.
A network of existing relationships with (1) the Water District community , and (2) Texas water policy leaders and stakeholders, including other associations and non-profit groups, state agencies, and local, state and federal elected and appointed officials, as well as possessing the qualities required to continue to build and strengthen that network for the benefit of the organization.
Ability to oversee the coordination of significant events and large-scale conferences. Critical areas of oversight include a review of elaborate event/conference plans, pricing and negotiating contracts, coordinated event management to exceed the expectations of event guests, members, and sponsors.
Have demonstrated ability as an influential public speaker to convey AWBD’s goals and policies.
Excellent Communication Skills: Strong writing skills in a variety of formats – from policy documents to media materials to -mail outreach – with close attention to detail. Along with the ability to translate complex topics into clear terms both verbally and in writing.
Experience as an executive level manager of either a non-profit association or a related business including strong budgeting, fiscal planning and strategic thinking skills.
Marketing Experience and public relations experience as it relates to a statewide (Texas) membership or non-profit association
- Education: Four-year university degree at a minimum; advanced degree a plus;
- Strong technical capabilities – experience managing back-office applications, and member engagement platforms such as e-mail systems, social media, and direct mail;
- Some travel required;
- Progressively responsible experience in a managerial position;
- Ability to inform and facilitate strategic decisions by the BOT;
- Ability to translate the Board’s vision and priorities into practical action plans including setting appropriate staffing and budget levels;
- Ability to understand key aspects of any issue and then effectively communicate and market AWBD’s position;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain an effective professional network;
- Knowledge and experience with marketing and public relation plans including working with media outlets;
- Credible interpersonal skills to develop positive relationships with members and forge productive partnerships with stakeholders and partners;
- Ability to communicate with a variety of constituencies.
- Follow through
- Problem solver
- Public speaker
- Relationship builder
- Business savvy
- A Resource
- People person
*Water districts including Municipal Utility Districts, Water Control and Improvement Districts, Levee Improvement Districts, and other districts that provide water, sewer and drainage, facilities and services.
Job Type: Full-time