Background / General description:
|IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our six decades of experience to create opportunity where it’s needed most. In FY16, our long-term investments in developing countries rose to nearly $19 billion, leveraging our capital, expertise and influence to help the private sector end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity. For more information, visit www.ifc.org|
The Risk and Sustainability VPU helps ensure that IFC is sufficiently profitable and capitalized to sustain and grow its operations through prudent risk management at the corporate, portfolio, project, and client levels. It enhances IFC’s license to operate through setting and bearing best practice standards to drive sustainable private sector development in emerging markets. The VPU works in partnership with other Vice Presidents to ensure IFC meets its corporate targets.
Sustainability is a strategic priority for IFC. It underpins the World Bank Group’s efforts to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity in a sustainable manner. We focus on the most urgent challenges helping businesses address climate change, and foster sustainable practices in key sectors such as agribusiness, infrastructure and natural resources and financial markets. In some of the world’s most challenging markets, we help create the conditions that can accelerate investment in these areas.
IFC is seeking to strengthen its global team of environmental and social specialists through the recruitment of a Senior Environmental Specialist with expertise in the oil, gas and mining sectors. The position will be based at IFC’s headquarters in Washington, DC
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
|• Appraise the Environmental risks and impacts associated with IFC investments against the requirements of IFC’s Performance Standards (PSs) on Environmental and Social Sustainability.|
• Define steps required to ensure compliance with the PSs and the World Bank Group Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines.
• Work with client companies and mobilize technical and financial support to address environmental and or social aspects of clients’ operations.
• Provide training on E&S issues to IFC clients, investment staff and other Specialists. Contribute to corporate knowledge base by analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practice from specific IFC investments.
• Represent IFC at technical meetings, industry events and environmental fora.
|• Advanced degree in science, engineering, or other relevant discipline|
• A minimum of 15 years of relevant experience in environmental assessment and management directly related to private sector business activities.
• Track record in working with private sector firms across industry sectors (including oil, gas, mining, and infrastructure) to identify environmental social risks and issues and develop mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice.
• Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse environmentally-related data and information.
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
• Excellent verbal and written English language skills are essential. Knowledge of other languages especially Spanish, French or Portuguese will be advantageous.
• Self-starter with enthusiasm for complex project challenges, integrated business solutions and IFC’s Sustainability initiative.
• International experience required; experience in developing countries preferred. Ability to travel frequently to developing countries.
• Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries.
• Resumes should not exceed two pages and other supporting materials should be no more than four pages (including statement of interest).