The Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) is a nonprofit policy institute and grant-making organization that promotes the responsible management of oil, gas and mineral resources for the benefit of all. Improving natural resource governance is one of the most significant development challenges of the decade and will determine the future of 1 billion people globally who live in scarcity in the midst of resource abundance. Countries with non-renewable resource wealth face both a challenge and an opportunity—when used poorly or squandered, non-renewable resource wealth can cause economic instability, social conflict and lasting environmental impacts; used well, they can create prosperity for current and future generations. NRGI is a recognized leader in the field of natural resource governance, helping people to realize the benefits of their countries’ endowments of oil, gas, and minerals in order to build a more stable and sustainable future. For more information, please visit www.resourcegovernance.org
NRGI seeks a Research & Data Analyst to play a central role to enhance and expand innovative data use across NRGI’s research and analysis projects and to advance the reach and impact of the organization’s key data platforms. The successful candidate will help NRGI staff to identify data that are highly relevant to the organizational mission and facilitate the use of that data throughout the organization’s programmatic work. The role will involve close collaboration with NRGI country and programmatic teams to analyse relevant extractive sector data that can help solve complex policy challenges in the countries in which we work. The Analyst will have the opportunity to initiate, lead and co-develop data wrangling, visualization and analysis for research projects related to NRGI’s key research areas, such as state-owned enterprises, corruption, tax policy and the energy transition. S/he will also support the delivery of NRGI capacity development work, to ensure that relevant research and data are incorporated into global and regional courses and country-specific trainings. The Analyst will also support data-related monitoring and evaluation in terms of conceptualizing and capturing the outcomes of interventions involving the use of data.
The Research & Data Analyst will have the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to the successful implementation of NRGI’s strategic objectives related to the use of research, data and capacity development as tools to generate knowledge and translate it into policy reform in resource-rich countries.
- Conduct empirical research related to governance, transparency and accountability that generates new insights and addresses sector-specific policy challenges, and disseminate the findings in innovative ways to key stakeholders.
- Compile and organize datasets, and provide detailed interpretations of results in the form of narratives, tables, graphs, visualizations and infographics.
- Co-develop research projects with other teams at NRGI using data wrangling, analysis and visualization of data related to oil, gas and mining.
- Participate in internal and external data events to present NRGI’s work and learn about data use cases within the extractive sector and the broader open data movement.
- Contribute to the Resource Governance Index project, NRGI’s flagship initiative that assesses transparency and accountability of the oil, gas and mining sectors around the world.
- Contribute to proposal drafting and subsequent donor reporting for NRGI’s research and data work by collaborating with other staff, including Development and Monitoring and Evaluation (MEL) leads.
- Support MEL efforts to continually evolve research, analysis and data use approaches and ensure they have the required influence and impact on policy-focused reform.
- A minimum of five years’ research experience in a work environment, with proven application of statistical skills for policy-focused analysis.
- Advanced experience with R (or other data programming language [e.g. Python, Stata]) and Excel for quantitative analysis, data visualization, and data management/cleaning.
- Extremely well-organized with strong project management skills and proven ability to work well under pressure and meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills, including ability to communicate complex issues to a non-expert audience.
- Ability to deliver presentations and trainings to a diverse range of stakeholders, including to representatives of government and civil society.
- Experience working with governmental and/or non-governmental organizations on governance and international development issues.
- Knowledge of and experience in index construction methodologies is desirable.
- In addition to fluency in English, proficiency in French is strongly desirable and proficiency in Spanish, Arabic and/or Russian is desirable.
Master’s degree in economics, international development, political science, public policy or another related field.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Research & Data Director
Position directly supervises: n/a
Indirect Reporting: n/a