With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
The Global Strategic Initiative office seeks to enhance EDF’s global presence and reputation of transformational change, charting a path forward in China, Europe, and other locales. The Program Coordinator’s role is primarily three parts: to manage projects in support of the strategic expansion of EDF’s activities, act as liaison between EDF staff working oversees and appropriate departments in helping to address and resolve issues related to working in a non US environment, and to oversee the administrative needs of the Office and support the SVP. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize and organize the workload within this busy endeavor. This is an excellent opportunity for someone to use business skills in support of a transformational advocacy campaign on complex global environmental issues. This position is based in New York, NY.
This position requires quick-thinking and strong judgment, high caliber communication skills, strong knowledge of EDF’s core issue areas, good writing and research skills and appropriate contact with high-level stakeholders. The key responsibilities fall into three main areas:
I. Departmental coordination and administration:
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate activities and projects for the team and preparing correspondence and reports as needed.
- Develop relationships with funders, Trustees, and outside people of influence. Draft emails to donors, trustees, and other high-level stakeholders and use appropriate judgment in sending emails on behalf of the SVP to help advance key priorities.
- Assist the SVP in preparing for important meetings by reading and digesting lengthy reports and providing initial summaries. Occasional research will also be required.
- Insure the effective organization and execution of regional/non-US board meetings working closely with executive director of Europe, SVP of Asia and Board Liaison
- Keep informed about major projects; learn and stay abreast of current priorities as they relate to the SVP’s goals and strategy, including program and projection priorities outside the US.
- Organize meetings with internal programs as well as outside organizations. Proofread, edit, and facilitate Departmental documents and reports requiring multiple manager input.
- Create and maintain administrative and tickler systems
- Facilitate expense reports, invoices, contracts, and other financial documents requiring approval and administration.
II. High-caliber executive support to the SVP:
- Maintain busy calendar and arrange extensive travel for SVP. Develop schedule effectively relative to SVP’s short-term needs, long-term plan and yearly goals. Act as coordinator and manage SVP’s day and maximize efficient use of SVP’s time.
- Prepare SVP for meetings including printing documents, collecting supporting documentation and researching background information.
- Prepare written communications and correspondence on behalf of the SVP, including research as required
- Answer and screen phone calls and emails. Take messages and field questions as appropriate
III. Research and project :
- Various duties to include tracking engagement with key stakeholders and influential persons in targeted countries including India, China, Europe.
- Conducting landscape analyses of other organizations doing work in key countries.
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in office administration or executive support.
- A Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Experience with budgeting, accounting and/or bookkeeping.
- Excellent attention-to-detail and administration skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior skills in MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently and as a self-starter.
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer