Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) is now America’s largest conservation organization, with 52 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters nationwide. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The Federation is committed to inspiring all people around our shared love of nature and wildlife by creating a welcoming and inclusive community representative of all Americans.
Our South Central Regional Center in Austin, Texas seeks a Communications Manager to help advance the goals of the Texas Living Waters Project. Texas Living Waters is an NWF-led coalition effort to improve the state’s management and use of fresh water to ensure that rivers, springs, and coastal waters can support abundant fish and wildlife along with thriving communities and a robust economy. As the Communications Manager your primary role will be to develop a robust communications program that can cultivate, engage, and mobilize a wide range of partners and allies to support the Project’s strategic goals. Substantive areas of focus for Texas Living Waters include water conservation, environmental flows, and the use of nature-based defenses and green infrastructure for flood mitigation.
In this role you will:
Develop and Implement a Communications Strategy:
- Develop and manage all aspects of Texas Living Waters’ external communications across multiple media, including print, broadcast, and social media;
- Craft and maintain quality control for Texas Living Waters’ key messages and image;
- Develop and implement strategies to increase Texas Living Waters’ social media presence;
- Assist Texas Living Waters staff with communication strategies for their events and activities;
- Develop and implement a process for tracking the impact of communications strategies.
Produce Content for Texas Living Waters audiences:
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials, including newsletters, brochures, reports, and web content;
- In partnership with program staff, create online media content, presentations, fact sheets, press materials, and brand/marketing materials for Texas Living Waters;
- Provide staff assistance in writing content for promotions and website;
- Advise program Director and staff on creation of compelling speeches and presentations.
Cultivate and Maintain Media Relations:
- Cultivate and sustain relationships with members of the media on all platforms;
- Inform media about Texas Living Waters events, reports, and other activities;
- Promote Texas Living Waters expertise on water issues to the media;
- Secure earned media by pitching stories, op-eds, and editorials;
- Manage all media contacts, respond to media requests, and track media exposure.
Design and Manage Web and Digital Platforms:
- Maintain the Project website as an inviting, informative, and interactive platform that will engage Texans in Texas Living Waters’ advocacy work;
- Curate striking visual content for website and social media platforms;
- Increase traffic and levels of engagement on Texas Living Waters website and social media accounts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field;
- 4 years of experience in a Communications or related position, with demonstrated skill in both print and visual communications, social media management, generation of earned media, and website content creation;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities;
- Strong organizational and project-management skills;
- Skilled copy editor with a strong eye for detail;
- Proficiency with PC-based software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign;
- Creativity, flexibility, and ability to handle multiple tasks at once and meet deadlines;
- Self-starter, independent thinker, creative problem solver, and team player.
- Experience working with non-profit, mission-driven organizations; experience in conservation a plus;
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
What Else You Should Know:
Travel Requirements: There will be occasional local and statewide travel. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license. There may be occasional travel outside of the state as needed for relevant organizational meetings.
Our employees’ actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, including 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a complementary team and strongly support candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
NWF strives to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/DEIJ.
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application.
If selected, a background check will be conducted.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
If you are interested you should submit a cover letter and resume.