The Green Climate Fund (GCF) became operational in 2015 and aims to become the largest multilateral fund addressing climate change adaptation and mitigation, with a goal of raising $100 billion by 2020. The GCF invests in transformational projects that build low-emission and climate-resilient economies in developing countries. The Fund seeks to enable the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, by channeling significant financial resources to developing countries to make an ambitious contribution to global climate action. In July 2015, CI became the first international NGO to become an Accredited Entity of the GCF to implement projects through grant funding at a global level. CI has been accredited for the implementation of projects of up to $250 million (including co-finance). There are currently 33 Accredited Entities with either a national, regional or global mandate.
In this context, the Senior Director will provide leadership to the technical side of the establishment of the CI-GCF Implementing Agency within CI. His/her duties will include overall input to the GCF Implementing Agency’s strategic directions, structure and functioning, as well as future growth. He/She will play a key role in designing innovative and transformational projects that respond to climate change challenges at scale.
Reporting to the Vice President of the CI-GCF Implementing Agency, the Senior Director will be responsible for the technical management of the CI-GCF Implementing Agency portfolio of projects. On technical issues, he/she will be responsible for developing the Agency’s projects pipeline, overseeing the preparation of and approval of innovative GCF projects, ensuring that all projects are in compliance with the Agency’s environmental and social safeguards, and supervising the implementation, reporting, evaluation & monitoring of GCF funded projects.
Strategic Leadership and Management
- Provide inputs to the Implementing Agency’s strategic directions, future growth, structure and functioning based on interactions with GCF, National Designated Authorities (NDA’s) and partners
- Manage a team of consultants and technical staff
- Follow GCF’s strategy development process and the development of new policies, procedures and frameworks that impact the development of the CI project pipeline. Ensure inputs to CI strategic discussions based on new policy and strategy developments.
- Represent the Agency externally and serves as a liaison with CI’s technical divisions, departments, and country programs
- Track, support and build relationships and effective communication with the GCF and key partners such as NDA’s, indigenous organizations, NGOs, international agencies, donors, and others working on social and environmental safeguard issues
CI-GCF Project Pipeline Development and Technical Oversight
- Conduct outreach to NDA’s. Represent the CI-GCF Agency in meetings with NDA’s to explore project opportunities.
- Develop, in coordination with the VP for the CI-GCF Implementing Agency the Agency’s project pipeline
- Oversee the development of concept notes and full proposals and approve the documents before submission to the GCF.
- Provide technical guidance to potential executing entities, governments, and CI Field Programs on GCF requirements for project design and implementation
Compliance with Environmental and Social Safeguards
- Supervise the application of the Agency’s Environmental and Social Safeguards based on IFC Performance Standards to all GCF funded projects
- Oversee and approves safeguard screening processes, including categorization and review of the social, technical, and environmental impact of GCF funded projects
- Supervise the implementation and monitoring of safeguard recommendations and requirements that executing agencies must take to address the Agency’s safeguard minimum standards
- Oversee the periodical review and update of the Agency’s Environmental Social Management Framework (ESMF) and the procedures, tools, and protocols associated with it
Project Cycle Management and Reporting
- In coordination with the Fin/Ops team, design a CI-GCF project cycle including relevant milestones, reporting, monitoring & evaluation requirements
- Develop project cycle templates for planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Review and approve project monitoring plans and oversee the implementation of the plans
- Guide projects on adaptive management measures and directions to ensure project compliance and success
- Oversee regular progress reporting to GCF on behalf of the Agency and function as the primary contact for progress reporting.
- Based in Arlington, Virginia.
- Normal office conditions.
- Frequent international travel up to 40% of the work time.
- Master’s degree in environmental science, policy or development field.
- At least ten years of experience working on climate change, conservation and sustainable development issues internationally.
- Demonstrated experience in the design of projects addressing climate change mitigation and adaptation issues.
- Thorough understanding of the Green Climate Fund including its policies, priorities, functioning, access modalities, the functioning of the Board and the role of the NDA’s.
- Demonstrated experience in execution and oversight of sustainable development and/or conservation projects related to climate change.
- Demonstrated experience in environmental and social impact assessments, development and execution of safeguard management plans based on IFC Performance Standards or other internationally recognized standards.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills; including public speaking and publications.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and synthetically across fields and topics.
- Demonstrated capacity for consultation, negotiation and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, implementation and adaptive management skills.
- Demonstrated integrity in human and financial resources management.
- Strong ability to work independently and/or remotely, while maintaining productivity.
- Experience in cross-cultural consultation, training and collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability to work in team environments and cultivate productive partnerships across a diversity of stakeholders.
- Fluency in one or more of the following: Spanish, French, Portuguese.