Make a difference in this rewarding career opportunity
In this role you will support the administration of the Canada-British Columbia Agreement on Hydrometric Monitoring and the management of hydrometric monitoring and data. The Hydrometric Officer provides expert advice and training to partners and stakeholders on hydrometric procedures and data collection for water management and hydrological analyses.
- Manages large data sets (e.g., time series, spatial and attribute data).
- Develops and manages data collection and storage systems and applications for use in water resource decision making.
- Supports the development, management and delivery of field programs and analytical products to assist strategic water resource use decisions for the Natural Resource Sector.
- Investigates and assesses new equipment, methodologies and other innovations to support a provincial hydrometric program.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact [email protected]. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to [email protected], before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- A university undergraduate degree in Water Resource Management, Geography, Environmental Science, Earth Science, Engineering or related discipline plus 3 to 5 years directly related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Demonstrated experience managing large data sets (e.g., time series, spatial and attribute data); developing and managing data collection/storage systems and database applications in a natural resource environment
- Experience in hydrometric monitoring equipment, processes and procedures including installation and maintenance of monitoring stations as well as telemetry and data processing
- Experience working effectively with multiple projects and assignments; developing methodologies, procedures, standards and best management practices
- Experience performing complex analyses, interpreting and reporting results
Preference may also be given to candidates with:
- Experience in project management, financial planning, analysis, procurement, and reporting.
- Experience in the provincial hydrometric standards (RISC), standard hydrometric operating procedures and the design and operation of hydrometric equipment and networks.
PROVISOS/ WILLINGNESS STATEMENTS
- Valid B.C. driver’s licence.
- Meet safety standards of Work Safe BC.
- May require the operation of a variety of equipment.
- Conducts field work which may include the following: travel to remote areas by vehicle, boat, air or foot, overnight or extended stay in rough camp conditions and outdoor work in all weather
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
CRC – A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES – A resume is required as part of your application; however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments