We are currently seeking a Junior Policy Analyst to support and expand our policy analysis team in Lomé, Togo. The successful applicant will mainly be working on a cross-cutting, multi-faceted project that aims to strengthen the connections between the scientific assessments of climate impacts, vulnerability and adaptation to help enable access to international climate finance and help implement concrete projects. Particularly, the candidate will be working on climate finance access in least developed countries (LDCs) with a focus on West African LDCs.
In addition, the position will support the global and regional Climate Analytics teams in other projects, according to skills and needs. The position is based in our office in Lomé, Togo and will require travels to countries in and outside of the region.
Your key responsibilities include:
- You undertake policy research in the area of climate finance to understand access opportunities and challenges faced by least developed countries with a focus on climate change funds processes, procedures and projects.
- You develop a methodology to analyze and synthetize lessons from climate finance proposals/concept notes/projects submitted by selected LDCs for both adaptation and mitigation. The analysis will present main trends and identifying success “factors” vis-à-vis funds investment criteria.
- You establish, maintain and update a database of approved climate finance projects by climate Funds, including the GCF, to draw out best practices and lessons learned and feed relevant information and trends into capacity building activities and knowledge products development.
- You liaise and maintain communication with partner countries to address support needs and requirements for information and support in climate finance and interact with stakeholders and project partners for information sharing and to identify opportunities and suggest methods and strategies that guide to enhanced access.
- You contribute to the planning, implementation and facilitation of regional and national workshops and facilitation of stakeholder consultations in the region.
- You support at any other relevant work needed to advance the IMPACT project in the areas of knowledge product development and dissemination, and implementation strategies.
You will ideally have the following qualifications and skills:
- A Master degree in climate change and/or environment-related studies, economics, international development, political science, public policy, or a related field
- Two-year work experience preferably in policy analysis in the fields of climate finance, climate change, etc.
- A good understanding and knowledge of climate funds, including the GCF, especially the processes, procedures, investment criteria, climate change project proposals’ databases, etc;
- Familiarisation with writing of reports, work papers, policy briefs and other information material
- Experience with inter-disciplinary work and a profound interest in understanding major challenges of climate change for development
- A well-developed sense for team work, excellent networking skills and ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Ability to work independently and efficiently, highly organized, detail-oriented and a motivated self-starter
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally as required
- Experience in working with governments, regional networks and institutions working on climate finance and climate change is an advantage
- Excellent English and French writing and verbal skills are a requirement
- Strong knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
We offer a positive and inspiring working atmosphere in a culturally-diverse, highly motivated team, an opportunity to participate in high-level international reports and research, as well as to gain insights into the international climate change negotiations and our support our work for the SIDS and LDCs.
Application Deadline: 27 February 2020
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Lomé, Togo
Terms: Fixed term contract until December 2020, with possibility of extension
Requirements: Togolese citizen or eligible to work in Togo
Please apply with your CV, cover letter and a list of three references in PDF format by 27th February , 2020 and indicate in your cover letter your earliest start date and your salary expectations.
Please apply exclusively using the application form. Applications by email or by post can unfortunately not be processed.
For further general information send your questions via email to [email protected].