Result of Service
The consultant will be part of the Climate Change Unit of the UN Environment Office for Latin America and the Caribbean. Responsibilities include, inter alia:
1. Support the adaptation team in the preparation of climate finance funding proposals, in accordance with the requirements set out in the different Funds’ regulations, including:
– Manage and review the deliverables from team members and partners, ensuring that they follow UN Environment vision, particularly in regard to sustainable development, gender equity and climate-resilience.
– Monitor proposal elaboration milestones.
– Monitor implementation of the work plan and timetables.
– Participate to site visits when necessary.
– Respond to information requests, arrange revisions, etc.
2. Support the adaptation team to supervise the implementation of approved projects, including:
– Support to the preparation and coordination of project launch.
– Monitor implementation of the annual work plans and timetables.
– Monitor project results, track results framework indicators and monitor risks. This includes the utilization of sex-disaggregated indicators and gender-based monitoring frameworks to assess project outcomes (if applicable).
– Support the preparation of annual performance reports and the project completion report.
– Participate in field missions when necessary to meet government officials and other stakeholders, including the private sector, prior consent of his/her Supervisor and in accordance with UN Environment rules and procedures.
– Facilitate consolidation of the Project Management Unit where relevant.
– Support the Steering Committee meetings.
– Manage the deliverables from project team members and partners.
– Support taking corrective management actions (and documenting them) to re-direct the project towards desired results.
3. Provide team members and partners with technical advice on climate change adaptation substantial matters including strategies to guarantee that issues such as gender equality, disaster risk reduction and synergies with mitigation measures are undertaken.
4. Development of reports, briefings and presentations. When necessary, the consultant will also support the general organization of events.
5. Contribute to UNEP’s overall climate change adaptation work in the region and support of the Euroclima+ initiative on ecosystem based adaptation.
6. Perform other related duties as requested.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Programme for the Environment) is the United Nations system’s designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action.
UN Environment seeks to support countries in Latin America to implement the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development and its Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the new Paris Agreement and the priority actions defined in the INDCs of Latin American countries.
The Office for Latin America and the Caribbean, located in Panama City, works closely with the 33 countries of the region – including 16 small island developing States – with a population of about 588 million people. The office works to serve the needs of the region and its activities are integrated into the work programs approved by the United Nations Environment Assembly of UN Environment (UNEA).
The overall objective of UN Environment´s Sub-programme on Climate Change is to strengthen the ability of countries to move towards climate-resilient and low emission strategies for sustainable development and human well-being. The expected accomplishment regarding climate change adaptation is that adaptation approaches, including an ecosystem-based approach, are implemented and integrated into key sectoral and national development strategies to reduce vulnerability and strengthen resilience to climate change impacts. Furthermore, the UN Environment´s Sub-programme on Climate Change is also committed to ensure that crosscutting issues such as gender equity and women empowerment is effectively undertaken in the development of the its tasks to guarantee an equitable development in line with its adaptation objectives.
In this framework, the Climate Change Unit of UN Environment Office for Latin America and the Caribbean is currently supporting countries in the region to develop proposals to access climate change funds and thus promote socioecological resilience for both men and women, and in particular in those most vulnerable to climate change. In addition, UN Environment, as delivery partner, is in of charge of the supervision of the implementation of adaptation projects recently approved.
The consultant will be supervised by the Adaptation Programme Officer. This consultancy position is located in the UN Environment Office for Latin America and the Caribbean at the Panama City duty station. The consultant will work from Monday to Friday – a minimum of 40 hours per week between 8:00am to 5:00pm.
The tasks that the consultant will be responsible for are described below.
– Master’s degree in natural resource management, conservation, environment, economics, development, or a closely related field.
– A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience.
– Demonstrated knowledge of climate change adaptation or development.
– Demonstrated experience in climate change adaptation project development, implementation and management.
– Demonstrated experience with the successful formulation of project proposals for at least one of the following funds: Adaptation Fund, Green Climate Fund, Global Environment Facility
– Previous work experience in Latin America and the Caribbean is an asset.
– Excellent written and communication skills in English and Spanish.
– Relevant expertise integrating gender considerations into project formulation, planning and implementation, this includes the design of gender sensitive methodologies to collect and assess baseline data, evaluate outputs, and monitor project outcomes where applicable.
– Ability to pick up new terminology and concepts easily and to turn information from various sources into a coherent project document.
– Professionalism: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., human resources, budget/work programme, database management, etc. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions.
– Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
– Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
– Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.