Rehabilitation WASH Program Manager (Northeast Syria)
Desired start date: 10/02/2020
Duration of the mission: 6 months with potential extension
Location: Northeast Syria – Raqqa Base
- Type and content of program:
Syria mission is dedicated to work on 2 main challenging areas: Northeast (NES) and Northwest (NWS) Syria to provide lifesaving activities to the population affected by the conflict. Main current activities are related to emergency wash (water distribution and rehabilitation) and distribution of essential NFI (winterization, hygiene, shelter, new arrival kits, etc..) and cash. The mission has been expanded in 2018-2019 through a major consortium with 4 partners led by SI. The consortium will support equitable and safe access to essential basic services including WASH, Shelter and Health, for the most vulnerable populations affected by conflict and displacement in Northeast Syria.
Since the recent developments in NES, its response is operating semi remote management from Erbil with intermittent field visits.
- Mission: size, bases, budget, number of expatriates and national staffs:
There are 3 implementing bases inside Syria, one Syria liaison office in Erbil, Iraq with the main Coordination office and Northwest senior teams based in Amman, Jordan. The total financial volume of the mission is planned at 23 million EUR for 2020. The mission is foreseen to maintain a number of roughly 45 expatriates and 250 national employees, with a high possibility of a slight increase due to new funding opportunities.
About the job
SI is looking for a WASH Program Manager, based in Northeast Syria (NES).
SI has been rehabilitating water treatment and irrigation stations in several locations in NES, as a complement to its emergency activities (water trucking and emergency sanitation notably). These rehabilitations, which range from occasional small-scale rehabilitations on water networks to the near reconstruction of the entire station, have an extremely high impact for the affected population’s access to population for both consumption and irrigation purposes.
For the rehabilitation activities SI is targeting mainly water treatment stations and associate network, a WASH PM with specific technical ability on rehabilitation work is required. The role will require extensive engagement with local authorities, with other rehabilitation actors in the area, and with mine clearance groups in order to successfully realize the project.
The work will be focused on four key areas facilities rehabilitation:
- Power (where connection to the public network is not possible generators may be provided, as well as repairs of electrical connections where damaged).
- Water Treatment System (where the treatment plant is damaged, e.g. repair of sand filtration system).
- Civil engineering works (where buildings and general damage has been incurred to facilities that requires repair before treatment station can be functional again).
- Distribution Network (where connections to the wider water network has been damaged so that distribution from the station to communities is not functional).
Technical supervision and leadership: fine-tune and improve BoQ and technical specifications, ensuring standards are respected, notably regarding the safety of the infrastructures.
- External representation: coordination with the local authorities and the other actors (local and international) working in the WASH sector, in a spirit of transparency
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Highly technical works, requiring strong technicity for both internal (towards the team) and external legitimacy
- Work in extremely hard-to-reach/ volatile areas, with SI usually being the only international actor present
- The job holder will be required to work in close collaboration with the logistics department, providing technical support for the call for tender and other processes, due to the specificities of the works concerned
The candidate will manage a small technical team implementing works on up to 4 sites. But in addition, the WASH PM Rehabilitation will be required to effectively manage local contractors carrying out the works, ensuring compliance with time, cost, and quality standards.
- Formal training and qualifications in large scale water production and distribution systems (water treatment plant, water networks, irrigation network) -no specific level required
- At least 5 years of experience in the design and/or construction FU and/or management of water production and distribution systems (preferably in humanitarian context but not mandatory)
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Water treatment, basic hydraulics, cast iron and PEHD pipe installation
- pumping station (pumps, injection pumps, mud pumps)
- Electricity (generators with a capacity of several hundreds kW, electrical transformers, distribution panels, …)
- Technical Assessment / Feasibility study / BoQ and Technical specification writing
- Tender process
- Work supervision (in hard context or tense situation)
- Good computer skills (Excel, Word, Google Earth)
Soft skills and spirit:
- Strong communications skills
- Fluent English with excellent writing capacities is mandatory
Arabic will be an asset
SI will offer you
A salaried position: starting from 1980 euros gross per month (1800€ + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly) and a monthly per diem of 700 USD a month. Please note that salary is not negotiable with SI.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of on 7 working days every three months. For a one-year assignment, the expatriate will have a 7 working days break at 3/6 and 9 month (with 850 USD allocated by SI).
To these break periods, it is necessary to add the granting of 1 additional rest day per month worked (i.e. 12 days in addition for a 1-year contract)
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
The candidate will be based in North East Syria at the main Amuda office, but will also be required to spend time working from and staying at the guesthouse of the sub-office in Ain Issa during the week to allow closer proximity to the sites of project implementation. She/He will live in the SI guesthouse(s). In Kobane, living conditions are comfortable with some opportunities and places to socialize. In Ain Issa, the living conditions are simple with little opportunities and places to socialize. The perdiem rate for Erbil is 750 USD a month.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension