||Guided by the belief that all lives have equal value, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation pride ourselves in being ‘impatient optimists’ whose purpose is to work to reduce inequity. Our vision is to ensure a world where every person has the opportunity to live a healthy, productive life.
We have four missions to:
• Ensure more children and young people survive and thrive;
• Empower the poorest, especially women and girls, to transform their lives;
• Combat infectious diseases that particularly affect the poorest; and
• Inspire people to take action to change the world.
Key to enabling these missions is our commitment to science and innovation, collaboration and partnership, measurement and rigor, as well as optimism and risk taking. Based in Seattle, the foundation has a worldwide staff of 1,500 people and is led by CEO Sue Desmond-Hellmann and co-chair William H. Gates Sr., under the direction of Bill and Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett. We have offices in the United States, Europe, India, China and Africa.
The Deputy Director of Urban Sanitation Markets (DD USM) is a new role and will be a critical addition to the WSH senior leadership team. The DD USM will develop, shape and drive strategies for identifying best practices in delivering sustainable city-wide sanitation services, developing a platform that allows for their easy replication, and for the commercialization of the WSH product portfolio (which includes the Reinvented Toilet (RT), Omni Processor (OP), and Omni Ingestor (OI)). This role sits at the nexus of many elements of the WSH strategy and requires a combination of skills and responsibilities spanning strategic planning, partnership and business development, operational execution, collaboration and team leadership.
Key areas of responsibility:
Develop, set and promote vision, goals, objectives and success metrics for the USM initiative for the short, medium and long-term. This includes:
• Developing a plan to engage and motivate officials in developing countries involved in city planning to prioritize and finance investments in urban sanitation
• Developing a plan to accelerate the improvement in sanitation in our model cities and to ease the replication of best practices to other cities in order to quickly scale up impact
• Providing leadership on commercialization strategy for the three WSH technology lines (RT, OP, and OI) that span the sanitation value chain
Identify, shape, and facilitate relationships and/or investments with and between commercial partners, technology partners, implementation experts & consultants, co-funders and other key stakeholders; contribute to the development of partner networks across the WSH sector. This includes:
• Collaborating with colleagues sponsoring innovation development to design specifications of the innovation (technology, service, or other intervention) to meet user, system & market needs
• Identifying critical paths for innovation launch & ensuring timely execution of necessary activities in partnership with internal and external partners to drive toward fast launch
• Work with prospective Commercial Partners to assess market (segments, consumer preferences, market size, demand projections, competitive landscape, product supply projections, etc.) to inform strategic planning and launch strategies for each WSH product line
• Define scope of work and execution plan (key activities, timelines, roles and responsibilities) for all WSH USM efforts, including commercialization.
• Engage WSH team, foundation staff, external contractors and other resources as necessary to execute against the execution plan. Provide high level oversight for all elements of execution plan.
• Ensure that other WSH initiatives (Transformative Technologies; Policy, Advocacy and Communications; Measurement, Evidence and Dissemination, for Scale) and USM are aligned and working in a mutually supportive way
• Partner with initiative leads to provide advice and guidance to our grantees and other partners who engage directly with or may be dependent upon industry and/or city officials
• Contribute to knowledge sharing within the WSH team, within the WSH sector, and across the foundation
• Serve as deputy to the WSH Director and manage members of the USM team
• Serve as a key member of the WSH leadership team, helping to define the overall WSH strategy and identify and prioritize critical initiatives and operational imperatives
• 10+ years of senior-level operating/general management experience, with proven success in strategy development, relationship building, and extensive experience in driving change and introducing innovation/new technologies in developing economies. Ideal candidates will bring expertise in the WSH (or other public utility) sector, with particular knowledge of urban planning, the interplay between governments and commercial entities, pro-poor service delivery models and social enterprise, and related financing mechanisms.
• Deep understanding of how developing-country cities work – how plans are developed, how investments are prioritized, how projects are financed, etc. – along with a track-record of developing relationships with and influencing senior-level decision makers in local government, industry, donor organizations, and/or NGOs.
• Ideal candidates will have a thorough understanding of industrial organization, in particular as it relates to regulated markets.
• Investor mentality and track-record of establishing successful Public-Private Partnerships.
• Inspiring leadership style, exceptional communication skills, and the ability to drive results, both directly and through influence.
• Genuine passion and enthusiasm for addressing and ultimately reversing the great inequity throughout the world today.
• Undergraduate degree in business, public policy, economics, or other related field that focuses on markets, institutions and incentives for adoption and dissemination of innovative approaches to development challenges, or relevant experience. Graduate or advanced degree strongly preferred.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.