The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is a non-profit, scientific research organization focusing on the sustainable use of water and land resources in developing countries, with its headquarters in Colombo, Sri Lanka and regional offices across Asia and Africa.
THE PERSON AND THE JOB:
IWMI is looking for a highly motivated researcher to take the lead on the learning agenda component of the Water Innovations Technology project (WIT) in Jordan. WIT is a 5-year $35M USD USAID-funded program designed to catalyze a movement for water conservation in Jordan through the adoption of water-saving technologies and techniques. The project envisions 1) water conservation technologies are adopted at agricultural, community and household levels; 2) access to financing for adoption of water conservation technology is improved; and 3) institutions are strengthened to support water saving technologies.
The Researcher – Agriculture Water Solutions will support the WIT-IWMI team in developing budgets, planning and implementing the learning agenda, ensuring timely delivery of high quality knowledge products appropriate to the audience and partners. S/he will manage relevant partner relationships and address technical questions of the implementing partners. The Researcher will provide technical and analytical input in relation to irrigation management and design, socio-economic impacts, the irrigation-sector market system, and other related issues. The successful candidate will be a strong team player and will support other components of WIT as necessary. S/he will carry out regular communications with partners and stakeholders and be fully aware of the local culture and context.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop a comprehensive and innovative WIT Learning Agenda together with WIT partners
- Plan, conceive and develop the learning program in line with available resources and procurement protocols
- Monitor implementation of the learning agenda to ensure timely delivery
- Identify required skill-sets and expertise within IWMI to implement and deliver high quality research
- Ensure high quality outputs and products appropriate to the market actors and partners.
- Contribute to monthly, quarterly and annual reporting requirements
- Develop different scientific and outreach products (e.g. research reports, rapid assessments, lessons learned, Collaboration Learning and Adaptation (CLA) pieces, journal articles, policy guidelines and briefs.
- Support the development of the program’s results measurement initiatives and learning/evaluation plan, including a detailed but realistic learning agenda, a core package of learning reports, and processes and clear integration with the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) work plan.
- Support the programs results measurement systems, including the program’s results chains
- Support project staff and partners to implement, monitor and review innovative pilot activities linked to the program’s learning agenda and to develop a culture of reflection and learning
- Contribute in regular reviews of program activities to reflect on programmatic learning based on implementation experience and monitoring data; review and revise results chains and theories of change
- Work in close collaboration with project team and the implementing and technical partners to define and implement capacity building plans for all including training and ongoing mentoring to ensure the collaboration, learning and adaptation (CLA) plan is adhered to and produces high quality learning products/reports
- Coordinate with key stakeholders to channel lessons learned into the project and donor results management and communications strategy
- Communicate outcomes with the wider research and development community at workshops, seminars, conferences etc.
- Strengthen the capacity of farmers and/or water professionals in Jordan
- Frequent travel is expected for this position between Amman, Azraq and Mafraq in Jordan and the MENA office in Cairo. There may be occasional travel in the MENA region and elsewhere.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Expertise in irrigated agriculture and water management in the MENA region.
- Sound understanding of the soil-plant-water continuum and latest innovations to improve water use efficiency and productivity in irrigated agriculture.
- Experience in developing, testing and implementing digital solutions to improve irrigation management beneficial.
- Demonstrated originality and creativity in designing and testing water innovations in irrigated agricultural and household systems.
- Experience working on a diverse range of irrigation scales, and a good knowledge of irrigation design, operation and maintenance of on-farm as well as small, medium and large-scale irrigation systems.
- Good management and leadership skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues, and emphasis on establishing a balance between strategic guidance and team empowerment.
- Ability to both lead and collaborate with interdisciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Original, creative and innovative systems thinker that takes initiative and has a good sense of judgement.
- A strong team player that is willing to take on various roles, adaptable and flexible and has tenacity to persevere.
- Strong understanding of the current political, economic, cultural and historical context of the region.
- High level of proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Office and relevant software for statistical design, analysis and modeling.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and good Arabic language skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A PhD in quantitative agricultural/irrigation engineering, water management or a closely related discipline with 5 years of practical experience.
- A good record of peer reviewed publications on relevant subjects.
- On-the-ground experience working on irrigation water management solutions with farmers and water users.
- Experience of working in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
This is a nationally recruited position and only candidates who are eligible to work in Jordan will be considered. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes medical insurance for self and eligible dependents, as well as Life, AD&D, long-term disability insurance (LTD), and a generous paid leave package.
The duration of the initial contract will be for 2 years with the potential annual extension, dependent upon on continued funding and institute requirements.
Your application must include your curriculum vitae, publications list, three professional referees and a cover letter that addresses your motivation for applying for this role and the position requirements. The CV, references and publications list must be uploaded as one file and the cover letter transferred to the application form. The referees will be contacted if you are shortlisted.
IWMI is an equal opportunity employer and emphasizes the importance of diversity and inclusiveness in identifying candidates for this position and its staff more generally. Women are encouraged to apply.