Do you want to build a career that is full of meaning and impact? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org
IFC has embarked on an ambitious new growth strategy (IFC 3.0) to stimulate more investment activity, especially in Low Income Countries (LICs) and Fragile and Conflict affected Situations (FCS). This strategy calls for generating our own opportunities by proactively working “Upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to imagine, design and implement investment projects. It requires taking a systematic approach to understanding the regulatory and sector bottlenecks that prevent the flow of private capital into productive investment in our member countries, and addressing these bottlenecks through World Bank Group engagement on policy reforms and programmatic interventions at the country and sector level. It also requires capacity to leverage WBG programs and projects to develop our own proactive sector interventions and to imagine and design projects even in the absence of reforms.
IFC is seeking Investment or Research Analysts to support Upstream work globally with a focus on one or more of the following sectors: Banking, Microfinance, Housing Finance, Insurance, Transport,Telecommunications, Media, Technology, Water and Wastewater, Urban Development and Municipal Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Agribusiness, Health, Education, Tourism, Retail and Property. The Upstream Analyst will support the development of high-quality Upstream pipeline through research, analytical and operational work.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Provide research and analysis on relevant sectors, markets and companies, including market mapping, comparator analysis, and sector and company financial projections/models.
- Analyze historical and projected financial statements of companies within the sector.
- Extract data from internal and external databases, manipulate and present data for various audiences and update/maintain information in relevant databases.
- Review, screen and prepare relevant documents and reports.
- Support the Upstream team with overall project management, planning and monitoring of deliverables to ensure timely and quality delivery of the work program.
- Prepare documentation for IFC internal processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Economics, International Relations, Science, Engineering, or other relevant field. MBA or Masters degree preferred.
- Up to 3 years work experience in banking, consulting or another fast-paced, knowledge-based work environment.
- Genuine commitment to development and to the World Bank Group and IFC’s mission, strategy and values.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills including corporate/project finance.
- Ability to develop complex financial models.
- Advanced Excel, PowerPoint and database skills.
- Excellent attention to detail and quality.
- Ability to thrive under pressure and function effectively in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines, while working on multiple projects.
- Excellent teamwork skills, ability to take initiative and work across organizational boundaries.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English