Position Title: Team Leader/Senior Evaluation Expert (International) – STTA
Reports to: DevTech Home Office Program Manager. Technically, reports to the Senior MEL Specialist, Economic Growth and Environment (EGE), MEL Activity, DevTech Systems Inc.
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management. DevTech Systems, Inc. implements the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Activity. The Activity provides continuous, on-the-ground, on-demand and systematic support to USAID/Nigeria and implementing partners on performance monitoring, data verification, impact and performance evaluations, project and activity level monitoring, evaluation planning and management, organizational learning, capacity building, and knowledge management. DevTech is supporting USAID/Nigeria to conduct a mid-term evaluation of the Effective Water Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) Activity, hence seeking a highly qualified Team Leader/Senior WASH Expert (International) with the requisite experience to be part of the evaluation team.
The primary purpose of the Mid-Term evaluation of the Effective Water Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) Activity is to provide an independent examination of the overall progress and accomplishments of the E-WASH Activity. The evaluation is also expected to provide a detailed picture of the major accomplishments and weaknesses of the Activity since its inception, and determine how its successes can be sustained. This mid-term performance evaluation will provide USAID/Nigeria, its implementing partners, and WASH sector stakeholders with data on outcomes and progress toward achieving its objectives. This Mid-Term performance evaluation will provide Government of Nigeria (GON), USAID/Nigeria, its implementing partners, and WASH sector stakeholders with data on outcomes and progress toward achieving E-WASH Activity’s objectives.
The audience of the evaluation findings are the USAID/ Nigeria Economic Growth and Environment (EGE) Office, other Mission colleagues, and other U.S. Government (USG) officials. Other audiences include non-USG donor organizations, the Government of Nigeria (GON), and private sector firms, all of whom can use the findings to improve and build knowledge.
An Executive Summary narrative with recommendations and a PowerPoint presentation will be provided to USAID/Nigeria in advance of the full report completion. These documents will synthesize findings and recommendations for future programming.
Period of Performance Tentative: March 23, 2020 – July 27, 2020
Level of Effort: 55 Days
- 8 days – Desk Review and Development of evaluation work plan and protocols;
- 9 days – Work plan/Protocol finalization and in-brief with USAID, implementing partners and EGE officials;
- 18 days – Data Collection and field visits;
- 12 days – Data Analysis and Report Writing; and
- 8 days – Finalization of report.
Experience: The Team Leader/Senior WASH Expert must have:
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience in the WASH sector, with specific expertise in urban water supply and utilities, preferably in Nigeria;
- Demonstrated experience in sanitation and hygiene promotion in urban contexts in Africa;
- Demonstrated experience with WASH capacity building and policy reform, with preference to those with considerable working experience in Nigeria with institutions and civil society organizations in the urban water and WASH sectors;
- Experience in preparing persuasive technical reports and making verbal presentations, explaining issues in a clear and concise manner;
- Required oral and written communication and presentations skills in English;
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating across projects stakeholder groups and donor projects; and
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Hydrogeology, Hydrology, Water Resource Management, Environmental Engineering, with a focus on Utility Management.
Job Description: The Team Leader/Senior WASH Expert will:
- Lead the evaluation Team under the management of the Senior MEL Specialist;
- Work together with team of experts comprised an International Senior WASH Governance Specialist, local expert(s) and MEL Management Staff to conduct the E-WASH Mid-Term evaluation;
- Elaborate the methodology for evaluating the E-WASH Mid-Term evaluation and write a Design Plan, including sampling and data collection tools;
- Conduct field visits, interviews and discussions with beneficiaries, donors, government officials, representatives of related USAID projects, and others who work with or have been impacted by the activity;
- Developed a detailed work plan which will include the methodologies to be used in the evaluation;
- Presentation of major findings of the evaluation through a PPT presentation to include a discussion of achievements and issues as well as any recommendations for possible modifications to project approaches, results, or activities and a draft report;
- Presentation of the final report with all comments adequately addressed and incorporated, and a final PPT presentation of the report.
NOTE: This job posting should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent consultant evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or other status protected by applicable law.