RED is looking for a highly motivated flood risk modeller to be integrated within its weather-related perils team. The successful candidate will contribute to the development and operation of large-scale hydrological and flood models, as well as participate in other activities carried out by the flood risk team and by the whole company. The job is based in Pavia (Italy).
The successful candidate will perform the following tasks:
- Support to the development and implementation of a large-scale rainfall-runoff and flood propagation model to be applied at the national and international scale, including but not limited to the software development, test and roll-out phases.
- Operation of existing hazard and risk models (flood, excess rainfall, tropical cyclone, drought, wind, etc.) in the broader context of insurance programme pricing and management.
- Support in any activity performed by the weather-related perils team.
- Autonomous work management, reporting and communication (internal and external).
- An academic degree in a relevant scientific area (hydrology, natural sciences, environmentalengineering, physical geography, etc.). A PhD degree is an advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in the field of hydrological and/or flood modelling.
- Experience in computer programming in the context of engineering software development and/or earth observation data analysis (minimum 3 year), preferably in Python or C/C++ in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Strong mathematical skills, with special focus on statistics and probability.
- Experience with climate and/or water analyses and data.
- Strong understanding of climate and hydrological processes.
- Experience in the use of GIS software, preferably QGIS.
- Good communication skills (written and spoken) in English.
- Motivation, attention to detail, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Basic knowledge of the insurance industry is an advantage.
RED (Risk, Engineering and Development) SpA was founded in 2008. It offers a wide range of services in the field of natural and human-induced hazard and risk assessment, with a particular focus on earthquake and weather-related perils. RED counts on 15 employees and collaborators with a Master or PhD degree. It is located in the historical city centre of Pavia (Italy).
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short cover letter to [email protected]
The job search is addressed to both male and female candidates (d.lgs. n. 198/2006). Prospective candidates might send their CV including the authorisation to the use of personal data, in agreement with art. 13 UE 2016/679 (GDPR).