Institute Director & Manager
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 310125
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Atmospheric Sciences & Global Change
Group: Joint Global Change Research Institute
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is seeking a Director for the Joint Global Change Research Institute (JGCRI) at the University of Maryland (UMD). JGCRI, established in 2001 and located at the College Park campus of UMD, is a vibrant intellectual hub that develops, stewards, and applies capabilities developed by PNNL for the Department of Energy and many other sponsors to address key issues at the interface between human and Earth systems. The Institute includes over fifty full-time scientists, engineers, post-graduate researchers, students, and support staff, plus a number of guest researchers, joint appointees, and interns dedicated to understanding and exploring responses to environmental change across a range of sectors and scales.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to lead an interdisciplinary, world-class research team addressing important issues in both basic and applied research. The JGCRI Director is responsible for:
- The operation, reputation, and overall strategic direction of JGCRI
- Representing the Institute in a variety of scientific and programmatic forums
- Effective line management for JGCRI staff, including retention, career development, and recruitment
- Working with an established line management and support team to mentor, advise, and manage staff performance and ensure efficient, safe, and secure operations
- Providing scientific leadership and maintaining an active research program that is aligned with JGCRI’s basic and/or applied research directions
- Serving as a bridge between PNNL and UMD to foster continued collaboration and growth of JGCRI programs
The hiring level will be determined based on the education, experience and skill set of the successful candidate based on the following:
Level 3 : Develops departmental plans, including business, research and/or organizational priorities. Guided by organization functional business plans, impacts the department results by supporting and funding of projects, and technologies.
Level 4 : Executes business plans and contributes to the development of functional strategy. Guided by organization functional strategy, has broad impact on the functional results.
- BS/BA with 10+ years of experience; or advanced degree with 8+ years of experience.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and history of leading large, interdisciplinary research teams
- Strong reputation with an international network of collaborators
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- BS/BA with 12+ years of experience; or advanced degree with 10+ years of experience.
- Preference to candidates with Ph.D. in a science domain relevant to JGCRI research (e.g., energy systems, economics, atmospheric science, hydrology, ecology, biogeochemistry, political science, etc.) with 10+ years of experience
- International reputation (e.g., frequent invited speaker, session chair, awards, etc.)
- Demonstrated line management experience with success in building teams and enhancing impact
- Demonstrated track record of successful fundraising and executing large projects or programs
- Ability and willingness to obtain a security clearance and knowledge of DOE/BER science and strategy would be a plus, but not required
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. If you are offered a position at PNNL and are currently a participant in a foreign government talent recruitment program you will be required to disclose this information before your first day of employment.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Managers
Group: Atmospher Sci & Global Chg
Opening Date: 2019-11-12
Closing Date: 2020-03-31