The New York League of Conservation Voters (NYLCV) is the only statewide environmental organization in New York that fights for clean water, clean air, renewable energy and open space through political action. We’re non-partisan, pragmatic and effective. Along with its sister organizations, the NYLCV Education Fund, NYLCV PAC, and NYLCV Gives Green, we educate the public about a broad range of important issues, evaluate the performance of elected officials, and endorse and elect by campaigning for the passage of laws during the legislative season and candidates in the electoral season.
Description: The State Policy associate will be NYLCV’s lead staff in the Capital Region. During the State legislative session, the associate will work with the legislature, Governor’s office, State agencies, partner organizations, and NYLCV members to advance the organization’s budgetary and legislative priorities. When the legislature is not in session, the associate will work with NYLCV’s Capital Region chapter to advance local priorities in cities, towns, and counties in the region. The associate will also help organize forums and other NYLCV Education Fund events in the region. The associate will report to the State Policy Director. The ideal candidate has familiarity with the State Legislature, or is passionate about protecting the environment and fighting climate change, and has a broad knowledge of the environmental and/or energy issues New York faces.
- Lobby the State Legislature, Governor’s office, State agencies, and Capital Region cities, towns, and counties on NYLCV policy priorities.
- Participate in issue-based coalitions with other advocates and stakeholders.
- Assist in the development of NYLCV’s State and Capital Region policy agendas.
- Schedule meetings for the President and State Policy Director when they are in the region.
- Assist the Program Director in organizing forums and other public events in the Capital Region.
- Strengthen the organization’s existing relationships, and build new ones, with Capital Region elected officials, advocates, businesses, and academics.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-5 years of experience in or related to New York State government, with a preference for experience in environmental or energy policy.
- Must be legally allowed to lobby the State Legislature in 2020.
- Must be persuasive, both in person and in writing, able to understand stakeholders’ policy concerns and devise a message that speaks to them.
- Ability to work well under remote supervision.
- Ability to become familiar with a wide range of issues in a short time frame.
- Willing to work more than 40 hours per week during the busiest weeks of the legislative session.
- Experience working with and building coalitions a plus.
- Ability to schedule and manage condensed meetings.
Location: Albany, NY. NYLCV’s headquarters are located in downtown Manhattan. This position will require travel regularly (monthly) to periodic events and programs to New York City and elsewhere in the State and limited out-of-state travel.
Compensation and Title: NYLCV offers a competitive salary commensurate and title with experience (range of $40,000 and $60,000), along with holiday, vacation, 401k plan, and health/dental/vision benefits.
Process: Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Please send a cover letter and resume to: [email protected].
NYLCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applications from all interested candidates.