Fieldwork technician (potential future phd) on drinking water quality
The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by the international community to address the challenges in global health.
Barcelona - Campus mar
What We Are Looking for
ISGlobal is looking for a technician to participate in a new project to evaluate exposure to emerging contaminants in drinking water in Barcelona. In particular, we will
1) Measure perfluorinated substances (PFASs), bisphenol A (BPA), nonylphenol (NP), haloacetic acids (HAAs), chlorite and chlorate in drinking water.
2) Create a map of the concentrations in Barcelona;
3) Estimate the contribution of drinking water on the internal dose of PFASs and trichloroacetic acid;
4) Measure neurotoxicity in drinking water; 5) Quantify the contribution of PFASs, BPA, NP, HAAs, chlorite and chlorate on the in vitro neurotoxicity. This project has received funding from the Pla Barcelona Ciència 2019, Ajuntament de Barcelona.
Main duties and tasks
The candidate will assist the research team in the elaboration of questionnaires, coordinate the field work, contact study participants, collect water and biological samples in the field, process samples, ship samples to the laboratories, interact with laboratories, administer a questionnaire to study participants, prepare databases, etc.
The candidate will also participate in the data analysis and will be involved in other water-related projects in ISGlobal.
Training and experience
Degree in Environmental Sciences, Biology, Medicine, or equivalent scientific, technical or health sciences degree.
- Experience in water studies or exposure assessment.
- Experience in carrying out fieldwork in epidemiological studies.
- Strong academic curricula, with possibility to apply for competitive predoctoral fellowships (i.e. good academic scores and holding a Master Degree), to eventually enrol a PhD after the contract.
- Responsible, flexible and with problem solving skills.
- Good organization skills.
- Dynamic, eager to learn and proactive, and with initiative.
- Autonomous and able to self-manage with the participants.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good communication skills with the research team and the participants of the study.
- Catalan or Spanish and English written and spoken.
- Duration: 1 year, full time.
- Starting date: Immediately.
How to apply
Applicants must fill in the request form and attach the CV and a cover letter including the following Reference Code Position: FieldTech_Wat_Bcn_Jan20. Each document must include the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until February, 29th 2020.
Applications will be accepted until 17.00 CET of the closing date.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you have any question, please, send us your query to "> .